VAT registration in Germany - obligatory for all?
Thread poster: markj
markj
markj
German to English
+ ...
Nov 25, 2003

Hi

I currently work in the translation dept. of an engineering company during the day and translate for a couple of agencies in the evenings to earn a bit of extra money. Now an new agency has asked me for my VAT number. From what I've been able to find out, if your translation work is simply a "Nebenbeschaeftigung", there's no need to register for VAT, and even in the case of full-time freelancers, you only need to register if your turnover exceeds €16.5K during the first year a
... See more
Hi

I currently work in the translation dept. of an engineering company during the day and translate for a couple of agencies in the evenings to earn a bit of extra money. Now an new agency has asked me for my VAT number. From what I've been able to find out, if your translation work is simply a "Nebenbeschaeftigung", there's no need to register for VAT, and even in the case of full-time freelancers, you only need to register if your turnover exceeds €16.5K during the first year and €50K thereafter. Can any other translators based in Germany confirm this for me?
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:27
English to German
+ ...
True... Nov 25, 2003

... as long as you don't charge your client any VAT. If you do so, you have to register for VAT (no matter if you're working full-time or not).

HTH.

Sonja

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
USt-ID/Steuernummer Nov 25, 2003

Is this a foreign agency or a German one?

A foreign agency is likely to to ask for your VAT ID (Umsatzsteueridentnummer). If you're not registered for VAT because your earnings are below the threshold for compulsory registration, you will somehow have to convince the foreign agency that you don't have to be registered for VAT and therefore don't have an (international) VAT number.

Whether the agency is German or not, your invoices should bear your Steuernummer (tax numb
... See more

A foreign agency is likely to to ask for your VAT ID (Umsatzsteueridentnummer). If you're not registered for VAT because your earnings are below the threshold for compulsory registration, you will somehow have to convince the foreign agency that you don't have to be registered for VAT and therefore don't have an (international) VAT number.

Whether the agency is German or not, your invoices should bear your Steuernummer (tax number under which you are registered with the tax authorities), though only a German agency is likely to notice the omission. The Steuernummer has nothing to do with the Umsatzsteueridentnummer.

Marc
Collapse

markj
markj
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
VAT registration in Germany Nov 25, 2003

[quote]

No, it's a German one and I live in Germany. Thanks for the tip with the Steuernummer.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
More info - straight from the source... Nov 25, 2003

...is available on the German Ministry of Finance (German website).

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT registration in Germany - obligatory for all?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »