Mobile menu

How much to charge?
Thread poster: Selene
Selene
Local time: 19:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 17, 2003

Dear everybody,
How much would it be it acceptable to charge in euro/1000 words for a general translation?
Many thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 20:47
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
How long will you need Dec 18, 2003

Hello,

How long will you need for the translation?
Can you await that your client will send more jobs ? How many, how often?
How long is the text.
Are there repetitions in the text ?
Is there a translation memory ?
Is there dtp work in this job ?
Is your client an agency or a direct client?
Will he pay ? How long will you wait for the payment ?

If you can answer all these questions, you can estimate the job.
With kind regards

Hans

[Edited at 2003-12-18 21:37]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Selene
Local time: 19:47
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much to charge? Dec 19, 2003

Dear Hans,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes I think you are right, there are many elements to take into account. So presuming that the job is relatively simple and straightforward, with no repetions, and you know that the client will pay, how much would you charge per 1000 words (in euro)?
Many thanks again

Selene


Selene wrote:

Dear everybody,
How much would it be it acceptable to charge in euro/1000 words for a general translation?
Many thanks


Direct link Reply with quote
 
David Sirett
Local time: 20:47
French to English
+ ...
It depends... Dec 19, 2003

Selene wrote:
...there are many elements to take into account. So presuming that the job is relatively simple and straightforward, with no repetions, and you know that the client will pay, how much would you charge per 1000 words (in euro)?


Given that inadequate information, your four translation combinations, all fields, and all customer types in any geographical location, translation rates could range from less than 50 to more than 250 euros/1000 words. What is 'acceptable' is between you and your customer.
Work out what you need/want to earn per year, how many words you can produce a year, and calculate the equivalent rates to give you some reference points.

regards
David


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Selene
Local time: 19:47
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How much to charge? Dec 19, 2003

Thanks for your reply and Merry Christmas!

Selene

David Sirett wrote:

Selene wrote:
...there are many elements to take into account. So presuming that the job is relatively simple and straightforward, with no repetions, and you know that the client will pay, how much would you charge per 1000 words (in euro)?


Given that inadequate information, your four translation combinations, all fields, and all customer types in any geographical location, translation rates could range from less than 50 to more than 250 euros/1000 words. What is 'acceptable' is between you and your customer.
Work out what you need/want to earn per year, how many words you can produce a year, and calculate the equivalent rates to give you some reference points.

regards
David


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge?

Advanced search


Translation news





WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs