Mobile menu

Agency asking for notarized translations?
Thread poster: TAGALOG PRO
Mar 10, 2002

I\'ve been in this business long enough, but I came across a totally new concept today. I was asked by an agency to go out and have my (soon-to-be-finished) translation authorized. Although I saw it in the contract when I signed it, I didn\'t actually think they\'d ask me to. Isn\'t this asking too much of a translator? I probably wouldn\'t think much of it under normal conditions, but let\'s just say the conditions under which I\'m working for this particular agency aren\'t normal. Any comments would be appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxtazdog
Spain
Local time: 05:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
this has come up before Mar 10, 2002

Here\'s the link to the previous discussion.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=15969&topic=1236&forum=19&8

Good luck!

TAGALOG PRO
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Cindy... Mar 10, 2002

Now I know I\'m dealing with an \"idiot\" client and an \"idiot\" agency.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:43
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes this can be solved by the Consular Office of the receiving country Mar 11, 2002

Documents passing diplomatic channels (transcripts, police clearances) can be coursed through Foreign Affairs and all the rest of those channels. You could try asking them for their SOP, maybe they\'ll even authenticate it themselves.

There are no sworn translators in Tagalog, so those EU countries that require them respect the seal of the Philippine Consulate. And as far as I know, Great Britain does not generally require this. An agency should know this is a combination that generally passes the Philippine Consulate in the country concerned in case of need.

TAGALOG PRO
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Cecilia... Mar 11, 2002

The agency seems inexperienced, and has been acting \"frivolously.\"

I also keep encountering agencies who ask me if I\'m ATA-accredited -- and whenever I start my sentence with \"No\" they don\'t bother to hear me finish to tell them that ATA does not accredit in Tagalog. As for membership, well, if no accreditation is involved, then it\'s just a matter of paying to be a member, isn\'t it?

I\'m also tired of agencies who keep pronouncing Tagalog to the same beat as tag-along.

Grrrr...if only I had enough direct clients, I wouldn\'t have to deal with agencies!!! The government should really consider outsourcing to competent individuals, instead of just to agencies who...okay, tama na! Ayoko nang mag-dwell!!!!

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:43
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Clients who love a stamped seal Mar 12, 2002

Tagalog Pro, I don\'t know what you just said, but it sure sounds terrible! I\'m sure many of us would share your feelings.

You really must clarify if any kind of certification is really necessary or if they request it \"just in case\". Here in Buenos Aires, certain translations have to be made by a sworn translator, who must sign them, stamp them with their seal and have them certified by the Association of Sworn Translators. This, of course, applies to legal translations only, but certain clients would bring you the translation of a microwave oven manual and ask you seriously: Are you a sworn translator? They think that the quality of the translation would be assured that way... They don\'t know that the Association only certifies that the translation has been done by a registered sworn translator; they don\'t vouch for the translation\'s contents (they explicitly tell you so).

TAGALOG PRO
TOPIC STARTER
What I am actually miffed about... Mar 13, 2002

As was pointed out in postings by other translators in other threads, there\'s no point in having something notarized in the United States. And, as Cecilia pointed out, there are no sworn translators in Tagalog.

But my actual question is: Is it fair for agencies who profit by being middlemen to shift most chores over to the translator? Not just notarization, but also having to mail directly to the client and having to do all the DTP formatting?

I understand that it\'s a competitive world out there, and that translators who are willing to provide these extra services are going to be more favorably looked upon and thus will get more jobs. But if translators are willing to do all this, then there\'s no need to deal with agencies, is there?

The reason we deal with agencies is so that we can concentrate on what we do best and that is translating. But if we are asked by agencies to spend more time marketing, learning DTP software, going to the notary public, preparing FedExes for the direct client, we might as well get rid of the agencies and do everything ourselves.

The problem is, the government (who is the main end client in my pair) does not directly outsource to individuals, so I have no choice but to deal with agencies.

Akala ko ba Internet age na ngayon, hindi na raw kailangan ang mga middlemen...not the case, it seems...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency asking for notarized translations?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs