proofreading rates
Thread poster: Ana Juliá

Ana Juliá
Local time: 23:39
Partial member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2004

What are the most usual rates for proofreading in Spain? I've been asked for a rate for the revision of books in Spanish. are there different rates for orthographic-grammar revision and stylistic revision?

Thank you in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:39
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

33% of the translation rate Jan 8, 2004

I do not know about Spain but my rule of thumb is 1/3 of my translation rate for a certain text - and this seems to be accepted by most clients.

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
( deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail :
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
+ ...
The rate would depend on the type of service Jan 9, 2004

For bilingual editing (checking a translation against the source text): 40% of the translation rate.

For monolingual editing (checking a text as an independent text, even if originally translated from another text): 30% of the translation rate.

For monolingual proofreading (checking spelling, typography, orthography, minor formatting issues, but not choice of words or stylistic issues): 20% of the translation rate.

For details:

Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
yes, different rates Jan 10, 2004

I agree with Fuad different services warrant different rates. In my case, I charge a different rate for proofreading (cold reading, not checking against a source document), basic editing (checking against a source document for completeness, accuracy, consistency and minor style issues) or extensive editing (rewriting for correct style, register, etc.).

You will find agencies will tend to lump all editing/proofreading into one rate, without distinction, so it is up to you to decide how you want to price your work.

I normally charge reviewing assignments by the hour, so I could not advise you regarding per word rates, but Fuad's breakdown seems reasonable.

Good luck!

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator, EUTI

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading rates

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs