Translation agency vs. bureau
Thread poster: David Wheatley
David Wheatley
David Wheatley  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:00
German to English
Jun 15, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I was wondering if there is a difference between a translation agency and a translation bureau.

It seems to me that agency seems to be the more popular description.

I would welcome your thoughts, though.

Regards,

David Wheatley

Lynda Bogdan (X)
Lynda Bogdan (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:00
English
agency = business bureau = office Jun 15, 2010

Agency implies that this is a company which is involved in the business of providing translation services for a fee.

Bureau implies that this is the translation department of a government organization or company that supplies its own in-house translations.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
No difference... Jun 15, 2010

...in my opinion. Agency is more common though.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
As I see it Jun 16, 2010

AFAIK, any agency could call itself a bureau if it wished as there is not a great difference between the two words.

It seems to me that there is perhaps a small nuance of difference, but I may be wrong:

Agency: very little "work" done on site, i.e. translating. They are very much intermediaries and should be competent communicators and managers without necessarily employing (m)any translators.

Bureau: much of the "real work" is done on-site by bureau employ
... See more
AFAIK, any agency could call itself a bureau if it wished as there is not a great difference between the two words.

It seems to me that there is perhaps a small nuance of difference, but I may be wrong:

Agency: very little "work" done on site, i.e. translating. They are very much intermediaries and should be competent communicators and managers without necessarily employing (m)any translators.

Bureau: much of the "real work" is done on-site by bureau employees, with some work outsourced as necessary to cope with workload.

But as I say, that's just how it seems to me - I haven't consulted dictionaries etc.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:00
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Agree with Sheila Jun 16, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Bureau: much of the "real work" is done on-site by bureau employees, with some work outsourced as necessary to cope with workload.

In my mind I see a translation bureau as a place where the translators are physically present, but in fact the terms aren't standardised anywhere. If an agency wants to call itself a bureau (it may sound better to them) then there's nothing anyone can do.

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Probably a broker Jun 16, 2010

As far as I can see, in Spain anyway, the vast majority of agencies, or bureaux, are simply brokers. Perhaps we should make a point of referring to brokers as brokers, and reserving the labels 'agency' and 'bureau' for those firms that contribute more than just price negotiation skills to the end product.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
@Sheila and my take Jun 16, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Interesting take on the concept of agency. This interpretation of them being intermediaries or brokers would apply in other industries, e. g. IT contractors in the UK register with agencies who themselves are contacted by companies if they have a contracting position to fill.

With regards to the translation industry, this may come from the German "Übersetzungsagentur". I remember that in the past when I told people I work for "translation agencies" they all thought it was the above concept when most of my clients have in-house translators as well.

Other than that, translation agency seems to be more widely used, I personally have never heard the term translation bureau in the UK.

I wonder if nowadays they call themselves translation companies/providers/outsourcers etc. rather than "agencies".

[Edited at 2010-06-16 17:01 GMT]

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Translation agency vs. bureau Jun 16, 2010

John Rawlins wrote:

As far as I can see, in Spain anyway, the vast majority of agencies, or bureaux, are simply brokers. Perhaps we should make a point of referring to brokers as brokers, and reserving the labels 'agency' and 'bureau' for those firms that contribute more than just price negotiation skills to the end product.

Agree. The correct name for any true agency/bureau should be "language services provider". Agencies or bureaus in Spain are often a one person running businesa wich unique purpose is to do an intermediation and to make money on both sides (brokering). Of course, there are also serious business people too, but they are a minority.

[Editado a las 2010-06-16 17:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation agency vs. bureau

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »