Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:55
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 17, 2004

Dear all,

Not so long ago I received a suggestion from one of our colleagues to treat the issue of non-payment (as we all do our business via Internet and seldom have hard copies of a PO, but only e-mailed POs) as an Internet Fraud. If the issue can be classified as such, it involves some new possible actions to take against offenders, e.g., to inform their ISP that their clients use their services in order to commit criminal offences (Internet Fraud in most countries constitute a c
... See more
Dear all,

Not so long ago I received a suggestion from one of our colleagues to treat the issue of non-payment (as we all do our business via Internet and seldom have hard copies of a PO, but only e-mailed POs) as an Internet Fraud. If the issue can be classified as such, it involves some new possible actions to take against offenders, e.g., to inform their ISP that their clients use their services in order to commit criminal offences (Internet Fraud in most countries constitute a criminal offence). The cases I refer to are not the ones of late payments (which is a separate issue), but the ones when a client does not pay and completely ignores your emails and other attempts to communicate with him after the job has been delivered.

Have any of you tried to tackle/solve the issue from such an angle? What are your thoughts on such an approach?

Uldis
Collapse

Andy Lemminger
Andy Lemminger  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:55
Member (2002)
English to German
What would be the advantage? Jan 17, 2004

Sounds interesting. This way they would cut the Internet line. But the ISPs won't listen to you as long as you don't have evidence in form of a court ruling. Before you don't have that it is only an accusation.

And if you would bother to get it you could go to court to claim your money anyway.
The non-payers would be angry of course if you cut their line but they could just move on to the next provider.

Or do you have any additional intentions by doing that?

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:55
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is the issue Jan 17, 2004

that, if the non-payer is, say, in any EU or other Western country, there are ways to tackle the issue. But if they are in some other far away country- I do not have a slightest idea, how to approach a court there, besides the sums involved are not worth the expected expense. But that's what the suggestion is about- if you inform their Police Force, Chamber of Commerce, ISP, whatever, that XYZ is involved in Internet Fraud, especially if you know you're not the only one who has suffered...
... See more
that, if the non-payer is, say, in any EU or other Western country, there are ways to tackle the issue. But if they are in some other far away country- I do not have a slightest idea, how to approach a court there, besides the sums involved are not worth the expected expense. But that's what the suggestion is about- if you inform their Police Force, Chamber of Commerce, ISP, whatever, that XYZ is involved in Internet Fraud, especially if you know you're not the only one who has suffered...
Maybe I sound idealistic, but in this country no ISP will host a client suspected in Internet Fraud, mass mailing, etc, no court ruling is necessary for that, and AFAIK, there has not been a court claim by a spammer against ISP for cutting off his Internet connection, at least in this country. And of course it is possible to change the ISP, but it involves some additional expenses and, possibly, change of an address, which in turn, cuts you off from established clients.

Besides, in this country, whatever your ISP, agreement with it contains quite enough of small type to cut you off for whatever offence without any compensation or rights to appeal.

As to additional intentions- yes, they would be to cut off possibilities of non-payers to continue their business in the same way and thus save other professionals from being cheated.

Uldis

Andy Lemminger wrote:

Sounds interesting. This way they would cut the Internet line. But the ISPs won't listen to you as long as you don't have evidence in form of a court ruling. Before you don't have that it is only an accusation.

And if you would bother to get it you could go to court to claim your money anyway.
The non-payers would be angry of course if you cut their line but they could just move on to the next provider.

[Edited at 2004-01-17 23:06]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 21:55
English to German
+ ...
also my trouble Jan 18, 2004

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Dear all,

Not so long ago I received a suggestion from one of our colleagues to treat the issue of non-payment (as we all do our business via Internet and seldom have hard copies of a PO, but only e-mailed POs) as an Internet Fraud. If the issue can be classified as such, it involves some new possible actions to take against offenders, e.g., to inform their ISP that their clients use their services in order to commit criminal offences (Internet Fraud in most countries constitute a criminal offence). The cases I refer to are not the ones of late payments (which is a separate issue), but the ones when a client does not pay and completely ignores your emails and other attempts to communicate with him after the job has been delivered.

Have any of you tried to tackle/solve the issue from such an angle? What are your thoughts on such an approach?

Uldis
Hi! I am also facing currently same trouble with a chinese company. That man didn´t respond despite innumerable number of mails I had sent him. The payment was long overdue. It makes me very angry and I cannot help the situation. There is a service at proz. called blueboard notification. So I had entered a remark there.
Regards,
Bandi

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:55
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Debt Collectors Jan 19, 2004

Have your tried debt collecting agencies?

I am having this problem right now with an agnecy from UAE and they are totally ignoring my emails and calls after the job was delivered.

I posted this issue on Blue-Board and other payment practice lists and assigned a local debt collector to deal with them directly.

As for ISP's I don't think it would hurt these agencies that much to face a internet account suspension as they could always change ISP's easily.

Uldis Liepkalns wrote:

Maybe I sound idealistic, but in this country no ISP will host a client suspected in Internet Fraud, mass mailing, etc, no court ruling is necessary for that, and AFAIK, there has not been a court claim by a spammer against ISP for cutting off his Internet connection, at least in this country. And of course it is possible to change the ISP, but it involves some additional expenses and, possibly, change of an address, which in turn, cuts you off from established clients.

Besides, in this country, whatever your ISP, agreement with it contains quite enough of small type to cut you off for whatever offence without any compensation or rights to appeal.

As to additional intentions- yes, they would be to cut off possibilities of non-payers to continue their business in the same way and thus save other professionals from being cheated.

Uldis

Andy Lemminger wrote:

[Edited at 2004-01-17 23:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non payment- is it an Internet Fraud?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »