Opening a PayPal Account
Thread poster: Sergio Artamonoff

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
Local time: 18:07
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 16, 2002

Being a freelance naturalized Brazilian English/French/Portuguese translator, living on the southern coast of São Paulo, I ask those who already have a PayPal account, who live in Brazil and who are also Brazilians, what kind of international account I should register for, the options being: Personal, Premium or Business ?

A company in New York has suggested that I open a PayPal account to receive its payments for my services. If I open a personal account, I cannot accept credit card payments, thus not understanding how I am going to get paid. My only remaining options are Premium or Business, for both enable me to accept credit card payments. My purpose for opening a PayPal account is only for receiving payments, not sending money. Would Premium be OK, or is Business mandatory? I am not a company, but self-employed.

I can also get paid having American checks sent to me, but the Bank charges an incredible commission, or having the payments sent to me by Federal Express, by paying US $25 dollars.

I ask the Brazilian veteran freelance translators to give me their opinions about this subject and whether it is worth opening such an account, living in Brazil, altogether.

Thanking you for any suggestions you can give me,

Sergio Artamonoff

Peruíbe -SP -Brazil

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-16 05:13 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dinorah Maria Tijerino-Acosta
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Be careful Mar 16, 2002

Sergio, I once was asked by an agency to do the same thing this agency is asking from you. Luckly in those days someone in this forum gave a site which discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the penpal. I have been looking for the site, but sorry I can find it among my papers. Anyway, it seems that many people that have used the system have been ripped off. So if I were you I would be extremely careful about it. If there is another way to obtain you money, I would advise you to used it, it\'s just an advise.

Saludos,

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Company Supplies Translations Mar 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 04:16, dtijerino wrote:

Sergio, I once was asked by an agency to do the same thing this agency is asking from you. Luckly in those days someone in this forum gave a site which discussed the advantages and disadvantages of the penpal. I have been looking for the site, but sorry I can find it among my papers. Anyway, it seems that many people that have used the system have been ripped off. So if I were you I would be extremely careful about it. If there is another way to obtain you money, I would advise you to used it, it\'s just an advise.

Saludos,

This company supplies translations, it is not an agency. It just informed me on the options I have to get paid : A check by mail, Federal Express in which US$ 25 dollars are retained or by opening a PayPal account. Nothing is being forced and I can choose what I want. Thank you for the warning, anyway.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-16 05:36 ]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
www.paypalwarning.com Mar 16, 2002

This site tells you all you need to keep your fingers off of paypal. I would recommend www.anypay.com, but I could not make any experiences with them yet, but I can confirm that they are very responsive.

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:07
German to English
See Money Matters in the forums Mar 16, 2002

Sergio, in case you haven\'t already read the discussions on PayPal in money matters, you ought to see if there\'s anything helpful there for your question.

Dyran Altenburg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
About payments through FedEx Mar 16, 2002

I\'m curious to know how those payments would work if you don\'t want to receive US checks.

AFAIK, sending cash is not allowed at all.

Anneken
Local time: 21:07
French to Dutch
+ ...
This anypay site looks suspiciously like the PayPal site... Mar 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 11:51, Harry_B wrote:

This site tells you all you need to keep your fingers off of paypal. I would recommend www.anypay.com, but I could not make any experiences with them yet, but I can confirm that they are very responsive.

... are you sure it is not the same company???

By the way, I have just closed my PayPal account, I have been hearing all kinds of horror stories and I have been ripped off for a few small amounts myself...

If I were you, Sergio, I\'d keep away from PayPal. If you do sign up, do not disclose your credit card details and try not to keep large amounts in your account. By the way, are you able to withdraw money from your PayPal account into your regular account in Brazil??? You ought to check, because if you don\'t it\'s no use!!!

Good luck!

Anneken

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Money Matters Mar 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 15:12, kmetzger wrote:

Sergio, in case you haven\'t already read the discussions on PayPal in money matters, you ought to see if there\'s anything helpful there for your question.

Kim,

I followed your suggestion and found a lot of useful information. Thanks as lot.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-16 18:03 ]

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Horror Stories Mar 16, 2002

Quote:

This site tells you all you need to keep your fingers off of paypal. I would recommend http://www.anypay.com, but I could not make any experiences with them yet, but I can confirm that they are very responsive.

Harry, thank you for the reference to the horror stories. I will be very careful, before making a decision.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-16 18:23 ]

Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:07
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Harry, thanx for the warning! Mar 16, 2002

My DTP provider recently tried to open a PayPal account and he run into so many difficulties that he eventually gave up. Because of his experience, I was already wary of PayPal, but after reading the horror stories posted at the site mentioned by Harry (www.paypalwarning.com) I\'ve decided to stay away from them forever. The definite eye-opener for me: their claim that their phone number is unlisted and hard to find in order to \"save costs\". Really...

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Federal Express Mar 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 16:24, Dyran wrote:

I\'m curious to know how those payments would work if you don\'t want to receive US checks.

AFAIK, sending cash is not allowed at all.

Dyran, I have the option of receiving the US check by mail directly from the company, not having to pay Federal Express, but only one processing fee to my Bank, in Brazil.

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Withdrawal of money from PayPal to my regular account in Brazil Mar 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-16 17:43, Anneken wrote:

Quote:

... are you sure it is not the same company???

By the way, I have just closed my PayPal account, I have been hearing all kinds of horror stories and I have been ripped off for a few small amounts myself...

If I were you, Sergio, I\'d keep away from PayPal. If you do sign up, do not disclose your credit card details and try not to keep large amounts in your account. By the way, are you able to withdraw money from your PayPal account into your regular account in Brazil??? You ought to check, because if you don\'t it\'s no use!!!

Good luck!

Anneken

Anneken, I tried to contact a PayPal representative to find out if I could, but my question was sent back to me unanswered, telling me I would have to register for an account first, and log in, before being able to get an answer. Thank you for your help.

Tatiana Neroni
English to Russian
+ ...
PayPal says it's FDIC insured Mar 17, 2002

I have an account with PayPal, so this discussion caught my attention...

We send and receive money through PayPal (we\'ve been sending money as auction payments, from credit card and bank account, and also sending money as \"quasi-cash\" from bank account), people we\'re sending money to never had a problem receiving it. My credit card and bank account info are registered with PayPal for more than a year, no problems whatsoever. If I needed a refund from the person I sent money to by mistake through credit card - my credit card was automatically credited after the instant refund was made, no problem at all...

I\'ve read some of the stories off the www.paypalwarning.com... I don\'t know if I need to believe it or not, since, first of all, I\'ve never had any problem with PayPal, and also since PayPal officially says on its site that all accounts are FDIC insured up to $100,000 - and who wants to keep more than that...

For me personally Paypal was extremely useful and convenient...

As to receiving money - I either instantly transfer everything I receive to my bank account through e-checks, as soon as I receive it - it\'s there within 3 days, or do my Internet shopping using the money, then there is no waiting time - they are out of your account instantly.

My two cents...

Sergio Artamonoff
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Positive Feedback Mar 18, 2002

Tatiana,

Thank you for the positive feedback, for I was beginning to have nightmares with all of those horror stories. I just want to be able to have my Master Credit Card Account credited, when my New York client makes his payments for my work. Guess I\'ll have to open an International Premium Account for small sums of money in a range from 100 to 1000 dollars, activating my credit card. I don\'t think a Business Account would be necessary. I just have to get in contact with a Brazilian freelance translator who also receives international payments, using PayPal, to check if my international Master credit card account can really be credited, and see how much they charge for this work.

I keep wondering who wrote those horror stories.

Best regards to you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opening a PayPal Account

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs