Compensation for translation service? How should I reply?
Thread poster: Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 10:49
English to German
+ ...
Feb 5, 2004

I would like to complete our agreement through a short and simple written contract, setting forth the terms of the translation service you will provide and the compensation for your services. Also, the agreement will contain confidentiality and intellectual property clauses, the substance of which will require you not to disclose the information contained in the documents to any third party and that the translation of the documents (once paid for by me) is solely my property.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 15:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
What do you mean? Feb 5, 2004

Andrea @work wrote:

I would like to complete our agreement through a short and simple written contract, setting forth the terms of the translation service you will provide and the compensation for your services. Also, the agreement will contain confidentiality and intellectual property clauses, the substance of which will require you not to disclose the information contained in the documents to any third party and that the translation of the documents (once paid for by me) is solely my property.

Not 100 % sure if I understand you clearly, Andrea?
Is the above being asked by a (private) outsourcer? If so, such agreements are quite common.

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:49
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
I don't understand your question either. Feb 5, 2004

Hi Andrea,
What is the point of your question? I fyou are wondering if this is normal, yes, I've seen it many times. How do you answer? Usually you sign it and date it, making sure that the rates and dates for the project are included and agreed by both you and the contract initiator.
Gayle

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
payment Feb 5, 2004

Hi Andrea,

I think you're worrying about the word "compensation".
IMHO they are refering to the "payment" for your translation services, ie, "the services you will provide and the compensation/payment you will receive for those services".

To accept it, being so straight forward, I'd just make sure I agree with the type of job, deadline, rates and term of payment.

Cheers,
Grace.

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 09:49
German to English
+ ...
Compensation = payment Feb 5, 2004

Hi Andrea,
I agree, i think its just a straighforward "Terms of Service" type document, where "compensation" means "payment". Most of my customers send me them - and if they don't, I usually send them one from me, confirming deadline, payment and payment terms, and the number of words/scope of the job. Its just for everyone's records and it's your "proof" of what you have agreed to provide for them.

Hope this helps,

Hilary.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for commenting on my question. Feb 5, 2004

Evert DELOOF-SYS wrote:

Andrea @work wrote:

Not 100 % sure if I understand you clearly, Andrea?
Is the above being asked by a (private) outsourcer? If so, such agreements are quite common.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comment Feb 5, 2004

Gayle Wallimann wrote:

Hi Andrea,
What is the point of your question? I fyou are wondering if this is normal, yes, I've seen it many times. How do you answer? Usually you sign it and date it, making sure that the rates and dates for the project are included and agreed by both you and the contract initiator.
Gayle

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comment Feb 5, 2004

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Andrea,

I think you're worrying about the word "compensation".
IMHO they are refering to the "payment" for your translation services, ie, "the services you will provide and the compensation/payment you will receive for those services".

To accept it, being so straight forward, I'd just make sure I agree with the type of job, deadline, rates and term of payment.

Cheers,
Grace.

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Hilary for your help I really appreciate it. Feb 5, 2004

Hilary Davies wrote:

Hi Andrea,
I agree, i think its just a straighforward "Terms of Service" type document, where "compensation" means "payment". Most of my customers send me them - and if they don't, I usually send them one from me, confirming deadline, payment and payment terms, and the number of words/scope of the job. Its just for everyone's records and it's your "proof" of what you have agreed to provide for them.

Hope this helps,

Hilary.

[Edited at 2004-02-05 20:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compensation for translation service? How should I reply?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »