Amanda Jane Lowles  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:36
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2011

Hi
Could anyone give me any help etc in this department, don't know where to start looking really. Thanks all.

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Help Jan 3, 2011

Forget it. You do not need it.

Every time this subject has come up, I have asked if anyone out there knows of any instance in which a translator has been subject to professional liability. I ask the same now.

So far I have not heard of anything like that ever happening.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Henry Jan 3, 2011

You can insure yourself against everything, even alien abduction. But at some stage you have to say the chances of this happening to me are so small it's not worth worrying about.

Amanda Jane Lowles
Italy
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 4, 2011

Ok, that's made life so much easier then!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:36
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
And even if you have it, you may Jan 4, 2011

not be able to use it:

http://translationmusings.com/2010/11/22/this-is-why-errors-omissions-insurance-is-a-crock/

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Get it Jan 4, 2011

Amanda Jane wrote:
Could anyone give me any help etc in this department, don't know where to start looking really.

Contact insurers in your country. For example, in some EU countries personal liability insurance (as opposed to professional liability insurance) is mandatory, so if that applies to Italy, ask the insurer who handles your personal liablity cover.

Both personal and professional liability insurance can be useful. If you make an honest mistake (e.g. a typo) on asomething that is printed (e.g. someone's business cards), you would be personally liable for the cost of reprinting it. Professional liability insurance should cover such cases.

Personal liability insurance is helpful for e.g. if your cat scratches the neighbour's cabriolet's leather, or if your child kicks a soccer ball through a neighbour's large window.

Amanda Jane Lowles
Italy
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jan 4, 2011

Thanks, much clearer now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Professional liability insurance - advice needed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »