Headers and footnotes: do you include them in the word count?
Thread poster: Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2004

Hi all:
Can anyone confirm, is it standard practice not to include headers and footnotes more than once when billing a document. Are they included at all in the word count???
TIA
Jason
Madrid

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
I would not charge them all Mar 3, 2004

Hi Jason,

I would charge the translation of header and footer text only once.
Word does not inlcude headers and footers in its word count. I dont know about other software.
I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tobi

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Word counts footnotes, but not footers Mar 3, 2004

There is a distinction! A footnote is explanatory text at the bottom of a page. A footer is some sort of text repeating on the bottom of every page of the document (e.g. "Feasibility Study"). A header is sort of the same, but at the top of the page.

In the word count dialog there is a check box at the bottom "include footnotes and endnotes" (or something to that effect). If you check the box, Word will include the text of footnotes and endnotes. This is important. There were documen
... See more
There is a distinction! A footnote is explanatory text at the bottom of a page. A footer is some sort of text repeating on the bottom of every page of the document (e.g. "Feasibility Study"). A header is sort of the same, but at the top of the page.

In the word count dialog there is a check box at the bottom "include footnotes and endnotes" (or something to that effect). If you check the box, Word will include the text of footnotes and endnotes. This is important. There were documents I translated where the footnotes accounted for a significant portion of the text (more than 10%).

Word does not count headers and footers, so you should count them manually - go into the header, highlight the text and open the wordcount dialog. If the header is the same for the whole document, then Word will count it only once, even if the document is 200 pages long. If the headers change, you have to repeat this for every one, but that should not be too much trouble.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

[Edited at 2004-03-03 11:07]
Collapse

Aquila Aurata
Aquila Aurata
Hungarian to English
+ ...
Tool recommendation Mar 3, 2004

A good tool for counting headers, footers, textboxes, annotations and the like is PractiCount, available from http://www.practiline.com. Does an incomparably better job than Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Headers and footnotes: do you include them in the word count?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »