Mobile menu

How to rate 2nd, 3rd, 4th proofreading sessions?
Thread poster: Christina Clark

Christina Clark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:22
English to Danish
+ ...
Mar 25, 2002

I have been given a task to amend and proofread a small document. I have been told to expect additional proofreading due to possible word and type setting changes.

Let\'s say the first session contains a document of 2000 words of which 400 are amendments and the rest to be proofread. 2nd session contains 150 word amendments, the rest to be proofread etc.

How do I rate each session? The client prefers to be paid by the word, so I can\'t use an hourly rate, which would be easy to assess......... So do I charge the same proofreading rate for all sessions?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
I would charge the same proofreading rate for all sessions Mar 25, 2002

Proofreading does not become easier by repeatedly reading of the (nearly) same text, in contrary, you have to concentrate much harder to be able to really read it.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:22
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
mix of revision charge plus new translation rate Mar 25, 2002

If in the extra sessions you are just supposed to edit/add some text to what has already been proofread:

Session 1: proofreading charge for full document plus translation charge for new words to be translated

Session 2: (assuming what has been proofread already does not change) charge for new/edited text to be translated (apply translation rate to the word count of this new/edited text)

Session 3: same as 2

So your final invoice will include a portion at proofreading rate and a portion at translation rate

If in the 2nd, 3rd etc. sessions you have to review the full text again (i.e. different layout, so you must check for correct hyphenation), then you might want to add a review rate for these sessions too (calling it \"layout review\", and applying a slightly lower rate per word than the initial translation review?)

Compare the time needed to do these reviews/amendments with your usual hourly rate, to ensure you are not losing out when charging per word, and adjust you rate per word accordingly.

HtH,

Roberta

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-25 13:46 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to rate 2nd, 3rd, 4th proofreading sessions?

Advanced search

Translation news

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs