Mobile menu

Large Localization Project, how to manage multiple translators...
Thread poster: ssubo
English to Spanish
Mar 13, 2004

Hi everyone! How are you doing? I am new to this and I am trying to find a software to manage a very large translation project for a website. Several translators will be working on this project so I will need some kind of software that could keep track of the different versions, and the files that have been translated, and automatically dispatch the work to different translators depending on their efficiency. Is there anything like this available?

Many thanks for your help,

Direct link Reply with quote

mrippa  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
English to Italian
Several alternatives... Mar 13, 2004

Hello and welcome.
I experienced several solutions for managing very large projects both on LANs and remote networks. Your translators work in house or in remote? Anyway I found that the best solutions is to develop on my own the core terminology, then I put the Trados translation memory database on the server, and we use as many Trados Team Edition licenses (the Team edition, not the Freelance one, otherwise the translators could not open the TM simultaneously) as we need, to access the database. The translators use their workstations to simultaneously access the translations memory over the LAN in locale or over my VPN in remote, and translate the single files of the project. The TM assures the consistency of the whole project, and grows larger and more reliable as more tranlsation units are translated. Easy, isn't it?
For more information about the Trados corporate solutions go to
Anyway the Team edition that I use has been replaced by other products like The Trados TM server and the Trados TM Power workbench.
Good luck

[Edited at 2004-03-13 16:42]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
Member (2005)
German to Spanish
A possibility Mar 13, 2004

If you do not have a Team edition of Trados or another CAT Program.

With T.O.M.(Translator Office Manager, you can manage your translators.
And Word has a function to track different versions of a doc.

In spanish:

Archivo/Enviar a/Destinatario de distribución

So for example you can send a doc to several translator and you recibe only one back with all the changes (with different colors)inside.

English to Spanish
It is a 2 million word website... Mar 14, 2004

Thanks for your help. I believe I am most concerned about how to assign different tasks to different translators and keep track of their progress, as with such a big website I feel lost when organizing the translation work schedule. I thought there was some kind of tool, spider-like, that analyzed the website and created sections our of it, like a tree diagram, to easily assign tasks. Do you know if there is such a tool?

Many thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Large Localization Project, how to manage multiple translators...

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs