Mobile menu

Who has experience with AKAD School ?
Thread poster: xxxmirena
xxxmirena
Local time: 15:41
Mar 27, 2002

I want to study by correspondence course. The AKAD School in Stuttgart is offering a possibility to get an acces to the certificate for agreed translators.

>

> Is there anybody who\'s got any experience with this school ? I would be happy to get more informations about this school.

>

> Thank you !

>

> Mirena

Direct link Reply with quote

Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
AKAD school Mar 27, 2002

I started studying there, but I can tell you it\'s not worth it. The lessons are very oldfashioned (not at all computerized) and what you are to learn has nothing to do with the daily xlating job, i.e. you have to do several psychology classes treating good old Freund and Jung. AKAD focusses very much on economic texts.

There was no way to send your work by email.

You do not learn anything about Literature, eTranslation (Trados etc.), translating websites, browsing databases and so on. They thing you still do you work with paper and pencil.

The only good thing about it is that you get a \'real\' diploma

Irene Fried  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
AKAD Stuttgart Mar 27, 2002

Dear Mirena,

I am also taking this course currently at the AKAD, and it is quite nice.

You have several topics which they cover, one big chunk is the German/English grammar.

Then you cover a few other fields as well.

Every month you get something like 4-6 booklets, which you have to work through.

(e.g. 1x Wirtschaftsenglisch, 1x Deutsch, 1x Englisch, 1x Landeskunde usw).

You can do the \"homework\" at your own speed and then send it in for the marking. That can take up to 4 weeks.

When I started the course, it still was on a seminar-basis (which will be kept that way for current students), but I think they plan to change it into a modular system, whatever that means.

During this 1st seminar you do quite a lot of work and you get a few good tips from the teachers. On the last day you have to sit an exam (EN>DE and DE>EN). If you pass this test, you are allowed to come to the second seminar, where you will sit the AKAD-EXAM. Only when you pass this one you are allowed to take the \"Staatliche Prüfung\". Shouldn\'t you pass the 1st seminar\'s test, you have the possibility to level that out by submitting some homework assignments (Translation into English and German, and an essay). These homework assignments are required by one authority (where you sit the exam), but I can\'t remember which one it was.

I know this is a lot of information, but if you want, you can contact me privately for more info.

Regards,

Irene

PS: Of course you have to pay for that course, as it is a private school

Of course what I said for the English goes also for the French. (Sorry I didn\'t read carefully enough your language combination.)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-27 18:10 ]

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:41
German to English
+ ...
WWW address? Mar 27, 2002

Is there a www address for that school? If so, please share it with the rest of the community; I am sure there are many who would be interested in this type of program.

xxxmirena
TOPIC STARTER
AKAD School URL = www.akad.de Mar 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 21:26, AbacusTrans wrote:

Is there a www address for that school? If so, please share it with the rest of the community; I am sure there are many who would be interested in this type of program.

xxxmirena
TOPIC STARTER
What alternative to AKAD School can you propose ? Mar 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 15:58, Vauwe wrote:

I started studying there, but I can tell you it\'s not worth it. The lessons are very oldfashioned (not at all computerized) and what you are to learn has nothing to do with the daily xlating job, i.e. you have to do several psychology classes treating good old Freund and Jung. AKAD focusses very much on economic texts.

There was no way to send your work by email.

You do not learn anything about Literature, eTranslation (Trados etc.), translating websites, browsing databases and so on. They thing you still do you work with paper and pencil.

The only good thing about it is that you get a \'real\' diploma

xxxmirena
TOPIC STARTER
Did you get your certificate of agreed translator with AKAD School ? Mar 28, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-27 18:01, pia wrote:

Dear Mirena,

I am also taking this course currently at the AKAD, and it is quite nice.

You have several topics which they cover, one big chunk is the German/English grammar.

Then you cover a few other fields as well.

Every month you get something like 4-6 booklets, which you have to work through.

(e.g. 1x Wirtschaftsenglisch, 1x Deutsch, 1x Englisch, 1x Landeskunde usw).

You can do the \"homework\" at your own speed and then send it in for the marking. That can take up to 4 weeks.

When I started the course, it still was on a seminar-basis (which will be kept that way for current students), but I think they plan to change it into a modular system, whatever that means.

During this 1st seminar you do quite a lot of work and you get a few good tips from the teachers. On the last day you have to sit an exam (EN>DE and DE>EN). If you pass this test, you are allowed to come to the second seminar, where you will sit the AKAD-EXAM. Only when you pass this one you are allowed to take the \"Staatliche Prüfung\". Shouldn\'t you pass the 1st seminar\'s test, you have the possibility to level that out by submitting some homework assignments (Translation into English and German, and an essay). These homework assignments are required by one authority (where you sit the exam), but I can\'t remember which one it was.

I know this is a lot of information, but if you want, you can contact me privately for more info.

Regards,

Irene

PS: Of course you have to pay for that course, as it is a private school

Of course what I said for the English goes also for the French. (Sorry I didn\'t read carefully enough your language combination.)

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-27 18:10 ]

Irene Fried  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
URL and more Mar 28, 2002

You are right Werner, and I was wondering what I missed

http://www.akad.de

Another thing. As I have been to the first seminar already (I am waiting on my results), I know the answer to the \"oldfashioned\"...-question.

The point why AKAD is insisting on these oldfashioned ways is that once you will take the exam at the Kultusministerium (it doesn\'t matter in which state), you won\'t have the possibility of doing it on a computer or use any dictionaries and all the other suggestions you had.

And yes they give you information about the things you asked for. But as this is a correspondence course you wouldn\'t have too much of contact to the teachers, except in these seminars.

I hope that cleared up some points.

BTW - I haven\'t been bribed to say positive things about them .

Regards,

Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who has experience with AKAD School ?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs