Mobile menu

VAT in UK, being a company
Thread poster: Raquel Fernández García

Raquel Fernández García
Local time: 12:55
English to Spanish
Mar 19, 2004

I'm an Spanish translator, I'm not self-employed, I own a small company. Could anybody tell me if I have to charge VAT in the invoice for a translation made for a company of UK? If I have to? Is it 17.5%? Thank you very much!!

Direct link Reply with quote

nordiste  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
have a look at the HM Customs and Excise website Mar 19, 2004

As far as I know - but I had a limited company in UK working for other European countries , opposite from you - you don't charge VAT between European countries but you have to quote the VAT Registration Number of your clients on your own VAT declaration (made in the country where your company is registred, on a monthly or annual basis depending of the country).
The best thing to do would be do have a look at the official website of your country's tax and customs regulations.
For UK it's called "Her Majesty Customs and Excise"
Hope that help

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:55
Flemish to English
+ ...
The VAT rules in simple terms. Mar 19, 2004

If you write an invoice as a small Vat-registered company then you have to charge 17.5% VAT if your customer lives in the UK
Customer lives in same country: charge VAT.
Customer lives in EU: you do not charge VAT, but mention your VAT-number on your invoice. The end-user charges VAT.
Customer lives outside the E.U.: Pure export of a service-no VAT to be charged and non to be paid if you sell your translation to an end-user.
If you sell your translation to an agency in say Switzerland the agency will have to charge Wertumsatzsteur (VAT) to its end-customer. I am not sure about North-America whether or not an agency has to charge sales-tax.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:55
English to German
+ ...
No VAT on intra-community services Mar 19, 2004

Hi Raquel,
Please note that this issue has been discussed several times before - may I suggest you use the forum search function to get more details.

In short, you don't charge any VAT if the recipient of the service is a business; the EU VAT ID is evidence that it is.

HTH, Ralf

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT in UK, being a company

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs