Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:32
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
FTN has many names, and comments. Apr 8, 2004

Mats Wiman wrote:
Do you not refer to FairTradeNet when you mention 'Fair Rates Group'?

Yes, on their web site they are called Fair Trade Net but their mailing list on Yahoogroups is called "fairratesgroup".

FTN business idea is to agree on a minimum rate of EUR 0.15. This is OK.

Perhaps we should have a new thread for FTN, but to comment: I charge EUR 0.075 and I'm quite happy that my rate is both fair to both me and my client and competitive when compared to what other translators in several countries charge for my language combination.

The weird thing is that the FTN's EUR 0.15 minimum rate was chosen through a show of hands and not determined through any kind of comprehensive study. In fact, after having looked into the matter I'm convinced that their rate of EUR 0.15 is in fact much too *low* (not too high).

See http://www.leuce.com/translate/fairrate.html for my reasons.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cheeky outsourcer 'adjusted' my rates to 'make them more competitive'

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »