Mobile menu

Off topic: A Typo, a Joke or a New Low?
Thread poster: xxx00000000
xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
May 8, 2004

0.02 USD per word for "translators who are dedicated to perfection" and "Min. 2 years experience, must be able to show work samples" -- and, of course, "cred req'd ".

http://www.proz.com/job/54683

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't get it May 8, 2004

What I don't get is the part about receiving 70% of the client's fee. Does this mean (if we get $0.02/word), that they're charging the end client $0.0285/word?

[Edited at 2004-05-08 17:28]

Romuald Pawlikowski  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:03
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Looks like carelessness... May 8, 2004

when entering the project details. This is nothing uncommon. To see exactly opposite (moneywise) offer, see:

http://www.proz.com/job/54513

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Seen too May 8, 2004

and I was just wondering if I write it in the forum. Good for you to have done it !
I am also flabbergasted... dedicated to perfection... two dollars cents even for en>jp.

It would be extremely useful to have, next the number of bids, the number of "viewed".

The phrase 70% of the client's fee make me think that you will be paid when the client has paid.

They deserve that someone takes it, put it in babelfish and send it without even looking at it.

[Edited at 2004-05-09 10:41]

xxxsarahl
Local time: 22:03
English to French
+ ...
unfortunately, I think it's no joke. May 8, 2004

Have you checked out job offers recently, Esther? I have seen an abundance of VERY low rates. Sadly, it seems to indicate that someone, somewhere, is taking those jobs...

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:03
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I agree with Sarah May 9, 2004

and unfortunately these days most of the jobs on the low end are also from the US. It used to be that the low ones were from India.

Chao!
Lucinda

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't get it May 9, 2004

If you're good, wherever you live, why settle for so little when you could get more?

If you're so broke you're willing to work for 0.02 per word, how do you buy dictionaries and CAT tools?

What I would really like is for people who work for less than 0.05 per word to log on under a pseudonym and help us understand.

Best,
Esther

xxxsarahl
Local time: 22:03
English to French
+ ...
You put your finger on it! (and it hurts) May 9, 2004

[quote]Esther Pfeffer wrote:

If you're good, wherever you live, why settle for so little when you could get more?
/quote]

I think there's several segments to this market, low quality with cheap prices and top-notch quality with higher prices. Now we have to educate all potential clients.
Good luck to all of us!
Sarah

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
even fellow Proz members are in on the you work, I earn game May 9, 2004

http://www.proz.com/job/54663

note that a purported translator colleague in a Euro-zone country has discovered the trick of quoting in $$ cents to reduce an extremely low rate even further.

[Edited at 2004-05-09 20:11]

xxx00000000
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Discrepancy May 10, 2004

sarahl wrote:

I think there's several segments to this market, low quality with cheap prices and top-notch quality with higher prices.

I realize there are different levels of quality and pricing, but I commented on the ad because what they wanted didn't fit with what they were offering. I actually wrote to them before posting my remark. Here's my little note:

Typo in your ProZ.com ad?

Hi --

Are you sure of your wording on fees and requirements? Are you really offering 0.02
USD per word for "translators who are dedicated to perfection" and "
Min. 2 years experience, must be able to show work samples".

Experienced translators "dedicated to perfection" work at a minimum of
about 0.10 USD per word. Either you have a typo in your ad or are totally unaware
of the translation market.

Best,
Esther Pfeffer

Now we have to educate all potential clients.
Good luck to all of us!
Sarah

Actually, most clients know the difference very well, at least in my main pair, EN to FR-CA, where bad translations are not well received at all. So-so translations can get by and I figure that's what the agencies who don't want to pay the rates I ask are getting. I actually feel quite good about leaving those jobs for those who need the money more desperately than I do.

Amichevolmente,
Esther

[Edited at 2004-05-10 01:54]

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Closing the thread now May 10, 2004

As this topic has been dealt with on numerous occasions and since there are rules in place now about postings of this kind, I'm going to close the thread now.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=about/community#forums_badmouthing

On a personal (last) note: you're right, of course, but there's nothing we can do about it, except maybe for this:
Why don't more people react directly to these outsourcers (i.e. ignore totally, don't bid, refuse...)?

[Edited at 2004-05-10 09:51]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Typo, a Joke or a New Low?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs