Thread poster: trionfale
trionfale
trionfale  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2012

I'd appreciate input from those who have had any experience in determining payment for an e-book translation (literary.) The author would like to promote with Amazon, so my query has to do with how to determine payment - by project? include some percentage for "royalities"? If so, how much?
Nota bene: this is the first attempt at such publishing for the author, a precocious 11 year old who has already published one novel online in his native language and would now like to reach an Englis
... See more
I'd appreciate input from those who have had any experience in determining payment for an e-book translation (literary.) The author would like to promote with Amazon, so my query has to do with how to determine payment - by project? include some percentage for "royalities"? If so, how much?
Nota bene: this is the first attempt at such publishing for the author, a precocious 11 year old who has already published one novel online in his native language and would now like to reach an English-speaking audience. (His parents are funding this venture...)
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Not royalties Jan 10, 2012

trionfale wrote:

Nota bene: this is the first attempt at such publishing for the author, a precocious 11 year old who has already published one novel online in his native language and would now like to reach an English-speaking audience. (His parents are funding this venture...)

1. I'd advise against royalties because it's so difficult to track sales. Your client would have to be under a contractual obligation to inform you periodically (e.g., on a 3-monthly basis) about sales figures. Your royalties would be calculated on that basis. This would take up a lot of your time and might not earn you very much. Sales might be zero! I would therefore recommend that you simply charge a one-off fee for doing the translation.

2. Be absolutely detached and dispassionate about how much you need to earn from doing this job. You are not a charity and it is not your job to financially support your client. Ignore the fact that the author is a 12-year-old boy, that his family are funding this themselves, and that they hope to promote the book through Amazon. None of that stuff should be any concern of yours. Your only concern should be to deliver a high-quality translation for a price that makes it worth your while. So my advice would be to apply your usual rate, the same as you would for any other job.

[Edited at 2012-01-10 10:29 GMT]

trionfale
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
cultural practices and determining price... Jan 10, 2012

thanks VERY much for your input, Tom. I'll determine a few 'preventivi' based on various calculations I've used in the past. The issue of 'charity' translation is a tough one though, as you may well know. This request comes through a relative of a friend...and I work in Italy, so there are cultural practices to be aware of....mannaggia! However, I will certainly make the argument that excellent work at a fair price will benefit the author in the end. Buona giornata e buon lavoro!

Alexandre Maricato
Alexandre Maricato
Brazil
Local time: 04:12
English to Portuguese
A two way cultural practice? Jan 11, 2012

trionfale wrote:

This request comes through a relative of a friend...and I work in Italy, so there are cultural practices to be aware of....mannaggia!

Perhaps such cultural practices may include requesting the relative of your friend to pay your bills by the end of the month. If you can do "charity" work for them, they certainly can do some for you.

If such arrengement is not an option, I would go for the regular fees. Translation is just like any other business: services are provided as long as the client can pay what they are worth for.

Good luck

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:12
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Jan 11, 2012

Alexandre Maricato wrote:

trionfale wrote:

This request comes through a relative of a friend...and I work in Italy, so there are cultural practices to be aware of....mannaggia!

Perhaps such cultural practices may include requesting the relative of your friend to pay your bills by the end of the month. If you can do "charity" work for them, they certainly can do some for you.

If such arrengement is not an option, I would go for the regular fees. Translation is just like any other business: services are provided as long as the client can pay what they are worth for.

Good luck

Precisely and very well put, Alexandre

[Edited at 2012-01-11 08:39 GMT]

trionfale
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cultural practices and determining price... Jan 11, 2012

Certo! You are both right, of course. I can see the negotiations going in this direction: "So, can we then pay X this first time around and see how it goes; the second book we'll do at Y..." I've been there before, but will gird my loins. This is one talented kid, so I'd like to see him succeed, but will remind his parents of my bills while we work toward that goal.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about a what-if type of deal? Jan 11, 2012

trionfale wrote:
The author would like to promote with Amazon, so my query has to do with how to determine payment - by project?

How about this (just thinking out loud here): Tell the client what it would cost if no royalties were ever paid. Tell him that if he makes fewer sales in the first year (or the first two years) to get that amount of money in royalties, then he has to pay the full amount (or whatever is needed to make up the full amount). Otherwise, royalties are paid indefinitely (as is your right). This gives both parties risk, but both parties can also benefit (in different ways).

trionfale
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What-if deal for e-book literary translation Jan 12, 2012

Brilliant suggestion, Samuel. Thank you. This may hit the right chord on both sides and with some tweeking may just work.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payment for e-book literary translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »