ProZ.com Professional Translation Center Job
Thread poster: Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:53
English to Thai
+ ...
Jan 30, 2012

I received a contact from ProZ.com Professional Translation Center to work in a new US agency I never knew before.
They tell to click accept or reject. They gave detailed instruction on one tight paragraph. They gave link to check source texts, instructions and guidelines for working with them including how to make invoices. I need to read about 6000 words to translate only 95 words (about 5000 words were pretranslated and I was told not to change in the same source file) by using a TM and
... See more
I received a contact from ProZ.com Professional Translation Center to work in a new US agency I never knew before.
They tell to click accept or reject. They gave detailed instruction on one tight paragraph. They gave link to check source texts, instructions and guidelines for working with them including how to make invoices. I need to read about 6000 words to translate only 95 words (about 5000 words were pretranslated and I was told not to change in the same source file) by using a TM and CAT. I clicked to accept and do the job. I delivered the job in time.
I got a unfriendly human reply from the agency telling that they declined my job due to 1) my failure to clieck on ProZ.com Professional Translation Center button and another translator accepted the job: I click on their web and download center 2) my failure to zip and send back file folder: I did, and 3) my violation by modifying pretranslated job : I never did since those segments were already locked.
In fact, they spend much time to check my job and read my e-mail. They should have been signaled that I was very serious with this very small job.
I wrote back and told them facts including my feeling of unfriendly reply. I was not much disappointed not to be paid in the small amount: USD 25.00, but I was frightened with so aggressive wordings.
I got reply again in "rude" manner saying that I was not intending to read their instructions.
I wrote to Proz BlueBoard LWA. But Proz staff rejected my entry without asking me: just only told "I never work with this agency."

I feel like Proz and an agency using it is not treating translators in a proper manner. Proz is also harmful in certain manners to members.
Any opinion is appreciate.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
What is the ProZ.com Professional Translation Center? Jan 30, 2012

I am a bit confused - never heard of that.

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, confusing indeed Jan 30, 2012

I am also confusing. The Center name above is clearly sent out of Proz.com's notice. I never got this type of message before.

I understand that Proz webpage designer never sets the silly and straightforward "accept/decline" job button (with tight instruction of agency to read without figuring about actual job contents) to trap translators into new agency jobs without reading job details/conditions and agency details first. That is, the self-complete button of Proz is too risky for t
... See more
I am also confusing. The Center name above is clearly sent out of Proz.com's notice. I never got this type of message before.

I understand that Proz webpage designer never sets the silly and straightforward "accept/decline" job button (with tight instruction of agency to read without figuring about actual job contents) to trap translators into new agency jobs without reading job details/conditions and agency details first. That is, the self-complete button of Proz is too risky for translators to hook into bad condition jobs (as well as impolite agency staffs).

And Proz should be responsible for bad outcome toward (Proz paying member) translators due to its incomplete systems.

Anyway, be aware if you the translators were contacted by this weird name center.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 07:53
Member (2011)
English to German
Do you mean the Standard Job System? Jan 30, 2012

Hello Soonthon,

Just like Nicole, I do not know what you are pointing at. I sometimes receive so-called standard job offers that start with:

"Dear Marina Steinbach,

A new standard job has been posted at ProZ.com that might interest
you. According to the information in your ProZ.com profile, you
meet the preliminary eligibility requirements for this job."

Do you mean this, when you speak about a ProZ.com Professional Translation Cent
... See more
Hello Soonthon,

Just like Nicole, I do not know what you are pointing at. I sometimes receive so-called standard job offers that start with:

"Dear Marina Steinbach,

Do you mean this, when you speak about a ProZ.com Professional Translation Center Job?

Greetings from Florida,

Marina
Collapse

Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Standard job offer Jan 30, 2012

"Dear Marina Steinbach,

Yes.
I might use the wrong title but the message contents are similar with this. I do not know exactly "preliminary eligibility requirements" of Proz. The Proz system is likely to send this message to many translators at the same time (with
... See more
"Dear Marina Steinbach,

Yes.
I might use the wrong title but the message contents are similar with this. I do not know exactly "preliminary eligibility requirements" of Proz. The Proz system is likely to send this message to many translators at the same time (with non-noticeable warnings). Can't we be prevent from misunderstanding on job offers e.g. by comparing with the Proz Job Posts section that use similar bid-reply systems.

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:53
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Soonthon Jan 30, 2012

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

In such case it is advisable to check the Blue Board record for the outsourcer. This one has an excellent record.

They tell to click accept or reject.

It is NOT "they" who tell to click accept or reject: this is the feature of the Connect! platform.

[quote]
They gave detailed instruction on one tight paragraph. They gave link to check source texts, instructions and guidelines for working with them including how to make invoices. I need to read about 6000 words to translate only 95 words (about 5000 words were pretranslated and I was told not to change in the same source file) by using a TM and CAT. I clicked to accept and do the job. I delivered the job in time.
[quote]

It was NOT a single paragraph. The job consisted in translation of a few updated sentences located in several places within a few slides. There was absolutely no need to read about 6000 words (???) to translate a small update: if you are proficient in the field, it takes you a few minutes only to complete the task. The PPT was for your reference only.

I got a unfriendly human reply from the agency telling that they declined my job due to 1) my failure to clieck on ProZ.com Professional Translation Center button and another translator accepted the job: I click on their web and download center 2) my failure to zip and send back file folder: I did, and 3) my violation by modifying pretranslated job : I never did since those segments were already locked.

All this means that you did something wrong: as soon as you click the "Accept" button, you get a message, confirming that the job has been assigned to you, and nobody else can take it.

I got reply again in "rude" manner saying that I was not intending to read their instructions.
I wrote to Proz BlueBoard LWA. But Proz staff rejected my entry without asking me: just only told "I never work with this agency."

As I have been working for this outsourcer since a few years already, I can only say that they are very professional, polite, and excellent payers; the word "rude" has nothing to do with them at all for sure.

I feel like Proz and an agency using it is not treating translators in a proper manner. Proz is also harmful in certain manners to members.

Wrong feeling. Before accepting a job you should thoroughly check if you are really able to complete it. Trying to accept a job that is beyond you fields of expertise most probably will lead to similar results.

Best,
Natalia

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Please submit a support request Jan 30, 2012

Hello all,

From your initial post, Soonthon, it sounds like you were invited to a job posted via the Translation center, http://www.proz.com/translation-center/translation-jobs . These jobs require the translator accepting the offer to confirm if they accept the job. This is so because invitations are sent in batches to eligible service providers. So, for the system to
... See more
Hello all,

From your initial post, Soonthon, it sounds like you were invited to a job posted via the Translation center, http://www.proz.com/translation-center/translation-jobs . These jobs require the translator accepting the offer to confirm if they accept the job. This is so because invitations are sent in batches to eligible service providers. So, for the system to stop sending notifications, and for the outsourcer to know when someone has accepted their job, the "Accept job" option must be selected.

In your post you said you did select this option, however, without further details, I am afraid I cannot tell you what may have gone wrong or whether or not you did follow the instructions.

So, I invite you to please submit a support request with the following details so that I can look into this further:

* Link to job
* Message received
* Complete email correspondence between you and the outsourcer

In the meantime, I am closing this thread in line with forum rule http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/11#11

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Lucia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com Professional Translation Center Job

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »