Thread poster: Samuel Murray
Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
What will you use it for Feb 3, 2012

I guess it all depends on what info you want to get from your invoice number, personally I just have a number followed by the year and start from 1 each year.

However if you would like to get more info from your invoice numbers you can add whatever you want to them, you could have anything you want.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
01/2012 Feb 3, 2012

Alex Lago wrote:

I guess it all depends on what info you want to get from your invoice number, personally I just have a number followed by the year and start from 1 each year.

Yeah, me too. Why make it complicated?

The invoice file names include my name (for the client's convenience) and the client's name (for my convenience), but the actual invoice number is a simple sequential number starting from 1 each January, followed by the year. I only do one invoice a month per client anyway, so nothing else is necessary.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Year and number Feb 5, 2012

Why make it complicated?

I use the last two digits of the year and then a sequential number, beginning with 01 at the beginning of each year. So, for instance, this year my invoices are numbered starting with 1201.

I use Proz invoicing, so it is easy to see at a glance the date issued, date due, amount due, amount paid, and client name of all invoices issued.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Perhaps I need to change? Feb 5, 2012

I am afraid I don't use a simple sequential number system. My system uses:

YYCCNN where YY is the year, CC the client ID number and NN the number of the job that year for that particular client. So, the second job for client No. 63 in 2012 would be 126302. Because I invoice at the end of the month using the job numbers for the invoices, my February invoice for client No. 63, if I issued separate order numbers 126302 126303 and 126304 for jobs delivered in February, would be 126302-0
... See more

YYCCNN where YY is the year, CC the client ID number and NN the number of the job that year for that particular client. So, the second job for client No. 63 in 2012 would be 126302. Because I invoice at the end of the month using the job numbers for the invoices, my February invoice for client No. 63, if I issued separate order numbers 126302 126303 and 126304 for jobs delivered in February, would be 126302-04.

[Edited at 2012-02-05 12:45 GMT]
Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:53
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Question to B D Finch Feb 5, 2012

B D Finch wrote:

YYCCNN where YY is the year, CC the client ID number and NN the number of the job that year for that particular client. So, the second job for client No. 63 in 2012 would be 126302. Because I invoice at the end of the month using the job numbers for the invoices, my February invoice for client No. 63, if I issued separate order numbers 126302 126303 and 126304 for jobs delivered in February, would be 126302-04.

[Edited at 2012-02-05 12:45 GMT]

Do you always use the delivery date? How about larger projects such as manuals, websites, training programs or books that stretch over several weeks or months, while you finish other, smaller jobs for the same outsourcer in the meantime?

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia (X)
Australia
Local time: 09:53
English
+ ...
sequential Feb 6, 2012

I use a sequential system - "YYYYMMDD - XXX - name of client", where XXX is the sequential invoice number, and the date is the date I issued the invoice (usually in the end of the month). That makes it easier for me to quickly find the right invoice if I have to go back and double-check something.

[Edited at 2012-02-06 02:22 GMT]

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Ongoing jobs invoice Nos Feb 6, 2012

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Do you always use the delivery date? How about larger projects such as manuals, websites, training programs or books that stretch over several weeks or months, while you finish other, smaller jobs for the same outsourcer in the meantime?

126302a, 126302b, 126302c etc. i.e. ordered in 2012, client No. 63, job No. 02, invoice a, b, c ...

Jerry M
Jerry M
United States
Looks complicated Jun 5, 2013

Hmm -- I cannot see the blog, so I can't see the name of the guy I'm responding to (at top of blog thread.) My system is similar to yours and one or two others. Looks tiresomely complex, but it seems simple because 1) I created it and 2) it satisfies what seems important to me, and that's this: 1) Which Customer? 2) Which Project for that customer? 3) Which sequential number of whatever the document is invoice, change order, receipt. And a number wouldf look like this: GCCI-PG&E-01.

... See more
Hmm -- I cannot see the blog, so I can't see the name of the guy I'm responding to (at top of blog thread.) My system is similar to yours and one or two others. Looks tiresomely complex, but it seems simple because 1) I created it and 2) it satisfies what seems important to me, and that's this: 1) Which Customer? 2) Which Project for that customer? 3) Which sequential number of whatever the document is invoice, change order, receipt. And a number wouldf look like this: GCCI-PG&E-01.

Several mention national tax agencies' sequential numbering requirements. That's new to me. I'll ask my corp attorney. Perhaps I need to add issue date information.
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:53
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
10XXX_YY Jun 6, 2013

If I remember right, I started with 10001 and then just went on sequentially from that. The file name format is 10XXX_YY, where YY are the client's initials, to make it easier to remember to whom I need to send the invoice. Until a couple of years ago I used to put the initials first, but with the current method it's easier to keep the files in numerical order in the folders. This system has been working for me quite well. In Finland, there's no rule on how to start the numbering, but the number... See more
If I remember right, I started with 10001 and then just went on sequentially from that. The file name format is 10XXX_YY, where YY are the client's initials, to make it easier to remember to whom I need to send the invoice. Until a couple of years ago I used to put the initials first, but with the current method it's easier to keep the files in numerical order in the folders. This system has been working for me quite well. In Finland, there's no rule on how to start the numbering, but the numbers must be unique and sequential, and they must correspond the dates (so you can't have invoice #10005 dated June 5th 2013 and invoice #10004 dated June 4th 2013).

[Edited at 2013-06-06 17:40 GMT]
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:23
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
xxx-000y Jun 7, 2013

x is the client code and y is the unique invoice number.

I haven't consciously adopted this format; this is the format that Translation Office the software I use for business management, uses.

I find it satisfactory for my purpose. I think in TO there is provision to change this format, but I am no geek and have not ventured into experimenting on this score.

BTW, I often miss in between invoice numbers. This happens when there is something wrong with the in
... See more
x is the client code and y is the unique invoice number.

I haven't consciously adopted this format; this is the format that Translation Office the software I use for business management, uses.

I find it satisfactory for my purpose. I think in TO there is provision to change this format, but I am no geek and have not ventured into experimenting on this score.

BTW, I often miss in between invoice numbers. This happens when there is something wrong with the invoice TO has generated (due to wrong input of data on my part) and I have to void it. There is no provision for deleting an invoice in TO, you can only void it. And when you void an invoice, the invoice number issued to it does not revert to the available number pool, but is lost. That is, the next invoice will take the next consecutive number to the one that was voided. Thus, in the valid invoices I have, there are gaps here and there where I have had to void invoices.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best invoice number format

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »