Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Urgent v Standard translation - how quickly do you submit your work?
Thread poster: Marion Lambert-Nuding
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with Janet and Vitals Mar 21, 2012

If I receive work that requires me to produce a very high output within a very short time to complete the job by the stated deadline, then I feel an extra charge is warranted (irrespective of whether I have "anything else on my plate").

The operative word here is "required." I may choose, in instances in which I accept a job with a 5-day deadline (and no rush surcharge), to take care of it in 1 or 2 days. But in such a case, it is my choice, and not a requirement impos
... See more
If I receive work that requires me to produce a very high output within a very short time to complete the job by the stated deadline, then I feel an extra charge is warranted (irrespective of whether I have "anything else on my plate").

The operative word here is "required." I may choose, in instances in which I accept a job with a 5-day deadline (and no rush surcharge), to take care of it in 1 or 2 days. But in such a case, it is my choice, and not a requirement imposed by the client.

I also fully agree with Tom re the asymmetry in the perception of urgency of delivery deadlines and payment deadlines prevalent among all too many agencies.

[Edited at 2012-03-21 17:04 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
Hebrew to English
Urgency Mar 21, 2012

...is a much abused word when it comes to translation projects.

The litmus test of a project's urgency can easily be determined by whether the client is willing to pay more (i.e. an urgency surcharge). 9 times out of 10 - they aren't...which tells you just how "urgent" it is.

Real urgency forces us to accept things/part with money when we ordinarily wouldn't. A few weeks ago I set out in my car to pick my sister up. I noticed as soon as I got in the car I was low on pet
... See more
...is a much abused word when it comes to translation projects.

The litmus test of a project's urgency can easily be determined by whether the client is willing to pay more (i.e. an urgency surcharge). 9 times out of 10 - they aren't...which tells you just how "urgent" it is.

Real urgency forces us to accept things/part with money when we ordinarily wouldn't. A few weeks ago I set out in my car to pick my sister up. I noticed as soon as I got in the car I was low on petrol (in the red even!), confident of the nearest petrol station on the way I just carried on, when I got there they were having electrical problems with the pumps and they turned me away, a little concerned but still confident of the next nearest petrol station I continued on my way, after about 10 miles and getting seriously close to an empty tank I arrived at the 2nd petrol station, which, to my horror, had closed down. With no other option I carried on again in the hope of another station (knowing that there wasn't another one for at least another 10 miles - I had a lot of countryside to get through). When I eventually emerged back into civilisation (well, a small village) I gleefully pulled up at the tiny village petrol station, surprised as hell that I'd made it, and I payed the exorbitant price of petrol (which would normally have made me baulk) with a smile - because it was urgent.

In translation though, I agree with Neilmac, it's too much hassle trying to impose "urgent" rates in the majority of cases - the word "urgent" is used so much it has practically lost all meaning.
Collapse

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Very simple Mar 21, 2012

My experience has taught me that I can translate 2500 words/day comfortably without over-exerting myself/compromising on quality; if a client wants more than that, or if I have other work booked in and squeezing their job in would require me to work evenings or weekends then a 50% surcharge applies. Simple. You very soon find that once you start talking about surcharges 'Urgent' becomes 'Not so urgent after all'.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent v Standard translation - how quickly do you submit your work?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »