Thread poster: Wenke Geddert

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:33
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 17, 2004

Once again, not totally sure as to whether I've chosen the right forum for this one...

This morning, I rejected a payment in error as PayPal only gave me the option to upgrade from my private account to their business or premier account in order to receive the funds. As I tried to reject the option, the payment was refused as well. Oh, oh...

This was only the second time I used PayPal and as such am quite new to the concept, but I do understand from PayPal's website, that "can upgrade to a Premier account at any time" rather than "***being upgraded*** at any time".

I subsequently sent an email to their support team and am still awaiting a response.

Any ideas? Look forward to hearing from you. With thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
contact the payer Jun 17, 2004

Wenke Geddert wrote:

Once again, not totally sure as to whether I've chosen the right forum for this one...

This morning, I rejected a payment in error as PayPal only gave me the option to upgrade from my private account to their business or premier account in order to receive the funds. As I tried to reject the option, the payment was refused as well. Oh, oh...

This was only the second time I used PayPal and as such am quite new to the concept, but I do understand from PayPal's website, that "can upgrade to a Premier account at any time" rather than "***being upgraded*** at any time".

I subsequently sent an email to their support team and am still awaiting a response.

Any ideas? Look forward to hearing from you. With thanks

Hi Wenke,

Something similar happened to me last year.
I have a personal account. I client made a payment through PayPal with credit card without even asking me. The payment was quite small (under £100) but PayPal commission was outrageous.
Of course, I was also supposed to upgrade my account.
So I first contacted the client and explained the situation. When I told them the commission they wanted to charge they agreed immediately in sending the payment through a different means (don't remember now if they made a transfer or sent a cheque).
Anyway, after talking to the client, I rejected the payment through PayPal and the requested upgrade.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Grace.

ps. forgot something...the fact that they are forcing you to upgrade is because you must have a Personal Account and the payer paid through credit card (only available for Business Accounts).
You can upgrade at any time, but ifyou are sent a payment with CC and you want to accept it you're obliged to upgrade.

[Edited at 2004-06-17 17:04]

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... interesting one... Jun 17, 2004

Thanks for your comment, well, good point - maybe payment has indeed been made by credit card! I got in touch with the buyer but there is some delay in communication. Quite intrigued now... I am sure it must be in connection with the payment method, quite happy to stay with the personal account though. Thanks again for your assistance.

BabelOn-line
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Pay Pal is not the friendly company they like us to believe they are Jul 1, 2004

Hello there,

I was thinking about getting an account with Pay Pal too (since credit card payment facilities are such an expensive option with UK banks).

Minutes before I took the jump, I decided to browse the Net to make a last check and see if there was anyone who had a bad experience with Pay Pal.

Surprise, shock and horror! Forums around the planet are full of horrendous stories about them. Some accounts were very detailed and quite worrying. Your own experience seems to be in line with these accounts.

From this research I remember they were other alternatives (smaller companies). But then, the set-up costs/monthly charges are crippling unless you have a lot of cash paid through this channel.

Things are moving slowly and the financial system seems to think that small businesses are sitting ducks. Some people seemed to have find solution by banking in other "cheaper" countries (Russia, ...). Why not, if it works for them?

If anyone has a safe and tested solution, I'll be glad to buy him/her a drink in London!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal - "Forced" to upgrade

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs