https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/22113-what_should_i_do_i_have_been_asked_a_question_related_to_my_business_registration.html

what should I do? - I have been asked a question related to my business registration
Thread poster: erudite (X)
erudite (X)
erudite (X)
Local time: 22:14
French to English
+ ...
Jun 17, 2004

Last summer I did some work for a copy in Brittany. They were unprofessional and extremely slow to pay. Infact they still have one invoice outstanding that I've given up on. In January I told them I no longer wished to work with them.

Today, after more than 6 months with no communication I was sent this email.

Rachel bonjour,

Désolée de ne pas donner de nouvelles. J'ai un souci avec les factures que nous avons réglé à savoir que ton numéro d'enreg
... See more
Last summer I did some work for a copy in Brittany. They were unprofessional and extremely slow to pay. Infact they still have one invoice outstanding that I've given up on. In January I told them I no longer wished to work with them.

Rachel bonjour,

Désolée de ne pas donner de nouvelles. J'ai un souci avec les factures que nous avons réglé à savoir que ton numéro d'enregistrement commercial n'apparait pas et que, pour la législation française, nous n'aurions pas du te régler. Peux tu me communiquer ton numéro d'enregistrement commercial.

Merci

What should I do? I am a sole trader and I have never registered my company. When I started to offer translation services I simply opened a buisness bank account and I declare my revenue each year to the tax man.
Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Rachel

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-06-17 18:46]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:14
English to German
+ ...
Give them your tax number Jun 17, 2004

Hi,
If you're not registered for VAT, give them your UK tax number...

Could you also please contact me through my profile, indicating the identity of the agency concerned (no details in the forum, thanks...).? I'm a Jobs moderator, and I'd like to check if others have had problems. Have you checked the BlueBoard?

Best regards, Ralf

Rebecca Lowery
Rebecca Lowery  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Under UK law you're not a registered company Jun 17, 2004

If you were trading as a registered company you would have to register your company details with Company House which holds a register of all companies in the UK.

You're not a company, you're a sole trader so don't panic, you didn't have to do this and you still don't have to, unless you want to benefit from paying corporation tax.

In the UK you're classified as self-employed. Have you registered with the Inland Revenue as being self-employed? You probably have if you're
... See more
If you were trading as a registered company you would have to register your company details with Company House which holds a register of all companies in the UK.

You're not a company, you're a sole trader so don't panic, you didn't have to do this and you still don't have to, unless you want to benefit from paying corporation tax.

In the UK you're classified as self-employed. Have you registered with the Inland Revenue as being self-employed? You probably have if you're filling in tax returns.

If you haven't registered as being self-employed you can do so by dialing the following number (open 8am to 8pm seven days a week). This is also a helpline so maybe give them a call and they can give you advice on the equivalent to a company registration number for sole traders (could maybe be your National Insurance number, for example?). I've called them lots of times, they're really helpful to small businesses starting up on their own. The number is:
08459 15 45 15
Collapse

erudite (X)
erudite (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank-you for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated. Jun 17, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:

I have no tax ID either and that was never a problem. However if that is an inter-european requirment(EU) I am not sure.

Some US Companies demand your social Security numbers if you have no registered business/tax payer.

I think it is just a pretext not to pay,
just follow standard procedures :find a collection agency,rate them in Blue Board etc...

erudite wrote:

Last summer I did some work for a copy in Brittany. They were unprofessional and extremely slow to pay. Infact they still have one invoice outstanding that I\'ve given up on. In January I told them I no longer wished to work with them.

Rachel bonjour,

Désolée de ne pas donner de nouvelles. J\'ai un souci avec les factures que nous avons réglé à savoir que ton numéro d\'enregistrement commercial n\'apparait pas et que, pour la législation française, nous n\'aurions pas du te régler. Peux tu me communiquer ton numéro d\'enregistrement commercial.

Merci

What should I do? I am a sole trader and I have never registered my company. When I started to offer translation services I simply opened a buisness bank account and I declare my revenue each year to the tax man.
Have I done something wrong?

Thanks for any help.

Rachel

[Edited at 2004-06-17 19:11]

erudite (X)
erudite (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Rebecca. Your reply was very useful. Regards, Rachel Jun 17, 2004

Rebecca Lowery wrote:

In the UK you're classified as self-employed. Have you registered with the Inland Revenue as being self-employed? You probably have if you're filling in tax returns.

If you haven't registered as being self-employed you can do so by dialing the following number (open 8am to 8pm seven days a week). This is also a helpline so maybe give them a call and they can give you advice on the equivalent to a company registration number for sole traders (could maybe be your National Insurance number, for example?). I've called them lots of times, they're really helpful to small businesses starting up on their own. The number is:
08459 15 45 15

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
"please settle the outstanding invoice and I will look into your request" Jun 18, 2004

I'd send them a letter to this effect regardless of whether you have the ID number or not, just to let them know you are still waiting for the last invoice payment and have no interest in anything further until that's settled.
Afterwards you can decide what to do about the request for the reg. number.

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Exactly, David! Jun 18, 2004

David Green wrote:

I'd send them a letter to this effect regardless of whether you have the ID number or not, just to let them know you are still waiting for the last invoice payment and have no interest in anything further until that's settled.
Afterwards you can decide what to do about the request for the reg. number.

There's nothing wrong in being assertive and claiming what you're entitled to.

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
in the UK you don't need to be VAT registered until your earnings top £56,000/58,000 Jun 18, 2004

Hi there,
I've had similar problems a few times - I just give them my National Insurance number. A "fellow" translator living abroad (in the EU) where you have to register for VAT on earning c. €20,000 recently decided to get shirty with me, pretty much accusing me of breaking the law and saying that it was grossly unfair that she had to pay and I didn't - (I still have to foot the bill big time when outsourcing to VAT registered translators, mind...). Eek.
You can register volunta
... See more
Hi there,
I've had similar problems a few times - I just give them my National Insurance number. A "fellow" translator living abroad (in the EU) where you have to register for VAT on earning c. €20,000 recently decided to get shirty with me, pretty much accusing me of breaking the law and saying that it was grossly unfair that she had to pay and I didn't - (I still have to foot the bill big time when outsourcing to VAT registered translators, mind...). Eek.
You can register voluntarily for VAT but you don't have to until you're earning a certain amount p.a..
It's worth getting in touch with the IR, though. www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk.
In any case, you must get back what you are owed from the French company.
Good luck.

[Edited at 2004-06-18 10:03]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 10:03]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 10:06]

[Edited at 2004-06-18 10:12]
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
True, it is similar here Jun 19, 2004

Amy Williams wrote:
in the UK you don't need to be VAT registered until your earnings top £56,000/58,000

It also seems to me this is another trick not to pay. It is none of their business, as an agency in France if you pay tax or whatever in the UK.

Send them your tax number, you have one, even if you do not work, and I would find the relevant article of the law, send them something like : VAT Registration is not compulsory according to the Law XY, article nr XX and that you are still entitled to sue them for not paying.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what should I do? - I have been asked a question related to my business registration

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »