Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can we please make an end of dubious job announcements?
Thread poster: Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:46
German to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2002

Profesional education in health and languages teaching

English>French

English>Spanish

English>German

French>English

French>Spanish

French>German

Spanish>English

Spanish>French

Spanish>German

German>English

German>French

German>Spanish

Objective: To use my quantitative and analytical skills as bilingual teacher, in nursing and in high sch
... See more
Profesional education in health and languages teaching

English>French

English>Spanish

English>German

French>English

French>Spanish

French>German

Spanish>English

Spanish>French

Spanish>German

German>English

German>French

German>Spanish

Objective: To use my quantitative and analytical skills as bilingual teacher, in nursing and in high school.

About the outsourcer:

Contact person: Luz Uribe

Company:

URL:

I let this stand \"on its own merit\", just one remark. After only a few hours, there were 60 bids.

Collapse

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:46
English to German
+ ...
Very "profesional", indeed, ha-ha... Apr 14, 2002

,as the \"offerer\" (who\'s, actually a seeker) himself.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Time for job posters to pay up Apr 14, 2002

Bidding fees were introduced to make it easier for outsourcers (serving as a filter). But what about us, the PAYING members of ProZ? We don\'t get filters like that? Job posters should pay! That would also put an end to such nutcases abusing the job section.

Silvina Beatriz Codina
Silvina Beatriz Codina  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:46
English to Spanish
The same thing happened yesterday... Apr 14, 2002

Something must be unclear... or do people really find jobs in this way?

What\'s worse, this time it seems that translation is not even involved.

Ursula Peter-Czichi
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Note Added: Apr 14, 2002

Only half an hour after I posted this topic, there are now 66 \"profesional bidders\"!

The poster is not listed as a ProZ member, the bidders don\'t even know whether he is from LaLaLand on another planet.

Obviously, other sites have the same problems, see this forum posting this morning:

Steffen Pollex: \"Does anyone get the point?\"

and my own posting yesterday (Money Matters):

\"The word is out: Translators will bid on any
... See more
Only half an hour after I posted this topic, there are now 66 \"profesional bidders\"!

The poster is not listed as a ProZ member, the bidders don\'t even know whether he is from LaLaLand on another planet.

Obviously, other sites have the same problems, see this forum posting this morning:

Steffen Pollex: \"Does anyone get the point?\"

and my own posting yesterday (Money Matters):

\"The word is out: Translators will bid on any job.\" [Now 443 bids on the \"job offer\" in question.]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-14 14:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-14 15:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-14 15:20 ]
Collapse

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
+ ...
Vendors should be fully identified and checked by ProZ Apr 14, 2002

I agree that vendors should be fully identified and checked by ProZ. I\'ve stopped bidding on calls for CVs as I haven\'t a clue who these people are. Then you\'ll get a call from Spain to see if you want to work for 4 or 5 cents a word . I now get lots of repetitive work from reputable vendors.

Marijke

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Squash power for dubious bids Apr 14, 2002

All we need here is an able-minded moderator or two who are given squash power. I am sure there are enough trusted people, to Proz I mean, who could be given this pleasure.

Cheers

Ursula Peter-Czichi
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I agree, it is that easy! Apr 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-14 15:11, nonogogo wrote:

All we need here is an able-minded moderator or two who are given squash power. I am sure there are enough trusted people, to Proz I mean, who could be given this pleasure.

Cheers

Right On!

The power to put a job posting on hold until clarification would also help.

Tania Kerrigan
Tania Kerrigan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 14:46
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
... and more... Apr 14, 2002

I agree with all of the above! In fact, there is something else that I\'ve had on my mind about proz, and I think this might just be the place to post it. I think it was a great idea to give only paying members the option to bid on jobs. But what about the postings that call for bids from proz members to send in their bids by e-mail (and the address is visible to paying and non-paying members). Not that fair to us platinum members, is it?

Ursula Peter-Czichi
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, excluding the general public from bidding would be fair all around. Apr 14, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-14 17:15, kerrigan wrote:

I agree with all of the above! In fact, there is something else that I\'ve had on my mind about proz, and I think this might just be the place to post it. I think it was a great idea to give only paying members the option to bid on jobs. But what about the postings that call for bids from proz members to send in their bids by e-mail (and the address is visible to paying and non-paying ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-04-14 17:15, kerrigan wrote:

I agree with all of the above! In fact, there is something else that I\'ve had on my mind about proz, and I think this might just be the place to post it. I think it was a great idea to give only paying members the option to bid on jobs. But what about the postings that call for bids from proz members to send in their bids by e-mail (and the address is visible to paying and non-paying members). Not that fair to us platinum members, is it?

----------------

Having to pay US$60.00 or 120.00 for a whole year up front and a reasonable (small) amount per posted job would certainly be a rational course of action.

The low-bidding \"trashlator\" has nothing to fear now and neither does the \"agency\" that hires him/her. The difficult part of the translation will be done on the KudoZ site by unpaid professionals!

However, there also is a responsibility on the part of translators:

Do not bid on job postings that

• look unprofessional (an agent should be able to describe a job without too many mistakes).

• call for CVs to fill their databases over and over and over again.

• do not allow decent charges/word

• ask for so much information, that they appear to look for full-time, long-time employees with 6-figure incomes. I bid on a job, I will not beg for it.

• Do not accept job changes (volume or charge/word) after lengthy negotiations. Accepting disrespect is not the beginning of a good relationship.

• I am sure, more could be added. Professions do not flourish, when professionals are weak.

Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
How can you teach one language into another? Apr 14, 2002

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Job posters should pay as well. Apr 15, 2002

I find VERY strange that job posters doesn\'t pay at all.

Laura Molinari
Laura Molinari  Identity Verified
Canada
French to English
+ ...
Not everyone understands... Apr 15, 2002

I think in the case of this particular posting, the poster did not understand our Job Postings section. Perhaps to some, job postings means \"post here and you may get a job\". I think it is a simple mistake on their behalf, this person speaks to some degree German, French and Spanish and just selected all combinations thereof. The thing I find hard to believe is that more than 60 people have either paid $1 or 100 Kudoz to bid on this. Just what did they think they were bidding on? I guess it\'s... See more
I think in the case of this particular posting, the poster did not understand our Job Postings section. Perhaps to some, job postings means \"post here and you may get a job\". I think it is a simple mistake on their behalf, this person speaks to some degree German, French and Spanish and just selected all combinations thereof. The thing I find hard to believe is that more than 60 people have either paid $1 or 100 Kudoz to bid on this. Just what did they think they were bidding on? I guess it\'s true, people will bid on anything, even something that\'s not a job.

To address the other point made in this thread, if Proz were to start making outsourcers pay, maybe they just wouldn\'t post jobs at all. Outsourcers wouldn\'t have accumulated Kudoz to use as currency and imagine those agencies that find themselves in a bind, turn to Proz to get a job done and then would have to go through a whole long process to register and pay to post a bid. They probably wouldn\'t bother. That\'s something to think about...
[addsig]
Collapse

German to English
+ ...
Proposal for change Apr 15, 2002

Even if we don\'t require job posters to pay, here\'s what ProZ, IMHO, should implement ASAP; the following is based on the procedure applied to forum postings:

1. Job postings submitted by Platinum or Premium members will be published immediately.

2. Job postings submitted by non-paying members as well as by people from outside of ProZ will be published after having been viewed and approved by ProZ staff.

Ursula Peter-Czichi
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is the idea! Apr 15, 2002

Quote:

... The thing I find hard to believe is that more than 60 people have either paid $1 or 100 Kudoz to bid on this. Just what did they think they were bidding on? I guess it\'s true, people will bid on anything, even something that\'s not a job.

To address the other point made in this thread, if Proz were to start making outsourcers pay, maybe they just wouldn\'t post jobs at all. Outsourcers wouldn\'t have accumula... See more
Quote:

... The thing I find hard to believe is that more than 60 people have either paid $1 or 100 Kudoz to bid on this. Just what did they think they were bidding on? I guess it\'s true, people will bid on anything, even something that\'s not a job.

To address the other point made in this thread, if Proz were to start making outsourcers pay, maybe they just wouldn\'t post jobs at all. Outsourcers wouldn\'t have accumulated Kudoz to use as currency and imagine those agencies that find themselves in a bind, turn to Proz to get a job done and then would have to go through a whole long process to register and pay to post a bid. They probably wouldn\'t bother. That\'s something to think about...

1. Registering with ProZ (free or not) should be easy enough for an agency or bidder.

(Someone who \"misunderstands\" the words \"bidding\" and \"posting\", should not work as a translator. He will look before he pays!)

2. If agencies want to hire someone, they should be willing and able to pay a nominal fee (filter).

3. However, if \"agents\" look for cheap \"trashlators\", having nothing but a sloppy website, one or two maybe-potential-\"clents\" and no \"resources\" to pay a small fee, then I do not want them to post \"jobs\".

Paying ProZ members would wind up applying to a non-expert (see: http://www.xpert.tk, now: 449 bids - who offers translations to his clients for 0.07-0.10 Euros/word).

4. It would also discourage people who do nothing but accumulate translator databases (to sell them). (The internet is a marvellous and dangerous place all at once. Some \"entrepreneurs\" respect nobody\'s privacy but their own!).

5. The idea is, in fact, to exclude some \"bidders\" and some \"agencies\" for the sake of professionalism.

If you were an established agent with legit jobs, would you put your posting in line with nonsense (see above), knowing that most people bid indiscriminately?
[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-15 04:58 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-15 06:12 ]Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we please make an end of dubious job announcements?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »