Thread poster: Carolina Alberca
Carolina Alberca
Carolina Alberca
Australia
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 19, 2012

Hello ProZ Members,

I have just completed an assignment for a US based company. This is not the first time I have worked with a firm located in the US, however, this was the first time a US firm asked me to complete a US Tax Form (W-8BEN).

Unfortunately with it being the weekend I am unable to get a hold of my accountant, however, with a quick glance over the form it appears as if I am obligated to pay 30% of my fees in taxes to the IRS? However, I have my own taxation
... See more
Hello ProZ Members,

I have just completed an assignment for a US based company. This is not the first time I have worked with a firm located in the US, however, this was the first time a US firm asked me to complete a US Tax Form (W-8BEN).

Unfortunately with it being the weekend I am unable to get a hold of my accountant, however, with a quick glance over the form it appears as if I am obligated to pay 30% of my fees in taxes to the IRS? However, I have my own taxation obligations in my country. So to me, the long and short seems that I am being taxed twice.

There was no mention of this form prior to my undertaking of the project, only afterwards in order for "Payment to be completed". Any advice or general information on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much everyone,

Carolina
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:31
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Carolina May 19, 2012

This has been discussed many times: just make a forum search for 'W-8BEN' - you will certainly find all information you are interested in.

Natalia

Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Israel
Local time: 19:31
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
fill it out May 20, 2012

The 30% are only tax withholdings, not the actual tax rate.
Filing form W8BEN will let the payer know that you are not subject to withholdings in the US. If you don't provide that form and taxes are withheld, you would need to file a US tax return to get a refund of any withholdings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US Taxes (Form W-8BEN)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »