I think a survey is a great idea.

Paula Rennie

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:44
German to English
+ ...
Yes, No, Yes - German > US English Jul 8, 2004

1. Do you really have a lot to translate, continually?

Yes, almost always.

2. Have you ever received a job through ProZ?
No, I quit bidding after trying it a few times, but I did get one regular customer through a call for resumes.

3. Can you live well as freelance translator only?

Yes, I support 4 people doing it.

I really would like to know what the translation market looks like. It seems to me that there are language pairs which already have to many translators, languages which are not wanted (like Romanian) and finally countries where there is nothing to be translated like Germany for example.

I work almost exclusively for customers in Germany - there is plenty of work there, at least into English! Not sure about the Romanian situation, though.

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 14:44
English to Russian
My 5 copecks :) Jul 8, 2004

1. In waves, from storm to dead calm, enough, I would say.
2. Yes.
3. Yes, but I also have kidz, cooking and, before I forget, hey, does anyone within 700 km from Bobruisk need kittens?!

Thank you too

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:44
German to English
+ ...
A little survey for translation jobs Jul 8, 2004

> 1. Do you really have a lot to translate, continually?

There are seasonal fluctuations which mean that I am probably offered twice what I can handle in the spring, and have the occasional quiet day or even week in the autumn. But overall, yes.

> 2. Have you ever received a job through ProZ?

No, but I've never bid for one.

> 3. Can you live well as freelance translator only?

I don't think it's particularly difficult to make the av
... See more
> 1. Do you really have a lot to translate, continually?

There are seasonal fluctuations which mean that I am probably offered twice what I can handle in the spring, and have the occasional quiet day or even week in the autumn. But overall, yes.

> 2. Have you ever received a job through ProZ?

No, but I've never bid for one.

> 3. Can you live well as freelance translator only?

I don't think it's particularly difficult to make the average German wage after costs. On the other hand, if you have a family and you choose to live in one of the most expensive towns in Nordrhein-Westfalen, the average German wage doesn't go very far.

> I really would like to know what the translation market looks like.

There is no "translation market". There are dozens of different translation markets.

> languages which are not wanted (like Romanian)

If Romanian is "not wanted", the reason can only be that translators who are native Romanian speakers are not doing a very good job of educating potential customers on the value of good translation.

> and finally countries where there is nothing to be translated like Germany for example.

Speaking as one who lives in Germany, I can assure you that there is plenty to be translated. It's true that a majority of Germans understand written English to a very high level, which results in a large amount of material not being translated: many scientific textbooks in English, for instance, are not translated - any scientist is expected to be able to read English and possibly even to write it to a high standard. It's not uncommon for the "documentation" (if it can be called that) of computer hardware components to be in English only. This general high standard of English cuts both ways, though. It's much easier to convince an educated German of the importance of good translation and therefore of the need to have it done professionally than it is to convince an English monolingual. The German may even be capable of making a passable job of it him or herself, but precisely for that reason will be capable of appreciating the difference between the good and the mediocre.

Marc
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
To all three: Yes, but... Jul 8, 2004

Yes, I do, but I have a client base outside the medium of internet. In fact, I am at this medium for a little over a year now, the improvement on the internet side of my works is not fast, but steady, and I keep advertising, taking care to create an overall image of reliability: like, I keep my working areas narrowed down (i.e. I never present myself as a "literary translator wit
... See more
Yes, I do, but I have a client base outside the medium of internet. In fact, I am at this medium for a little over a year now, the improvement on the internet side of my works is not fast, but steady, and I keep advertising, taking care to create an overall image of reliability: like, I keep my working areas narrowed down (i.e. I never present myself as a "literary translator with a sound background in software" though I actually am, but instead emphasize a package of specialties relevant to each other -literature and history, for instance- on my internet profiles, and emphasize software only in a relevant job application, backing it up with proof of actual experience). Also, I do work in the foreign direction, simply because the amount of material to be translated from Turkish to English is a hundred times bigger than the number of native-English translators working from Turkish. I think this situation will apply to Romanian, as well. But it's important to me to sustain a reliable profile at that, too. The areas I would accept jobs in that direction are much more limited and I collaborate with natives. Another point: I live in Germany but don't work with German; even if I had a working command of German, I would not even dream of offering translation between German and English. There are hundreds of translators native to one of them and working from the other; who on earth would ever entrust a translation to someone who had both as a foreign language? I wouldn't have the slightest chance in that combination, and the worst of all, I would have thus compromised my overall professional image and reliability, also damaging it in the real direction I master, English to Turkish, that is.

2. Have you ever received a job through ProZ?
Yes, I have, and regretted it This is true if you mean only the bids though, and it was only one job. But all the jobs I have received in the internet have been possible through my Proz membership in one way or another. I am also trying paid membership in a couple of other sites, I will make my final decision about them at the end of each paid term, but with Proz I intend to stay a paid member even if I don't get any other jobs. The professional information database alone built up on this site is worth the payment. Plus I meet great people here and have lots of fun. And the best thing I know, I've learned here again: never be tempted to accept a rate lower than what you deserve, you are the one who will be paying dearly in the end

3. Can you live well as freelance translator only?
This depends on what you mean "well". I have some expensive tastes in the areas of books, food, and travel; I am a renting single mother; I resettled several times; and am extremely unwise when it comes to money matters. If I could survive with freelancing alone, anyone can
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
An answer for you Jul 8, 2004

First of all thank you for your answers.
Answers to some questions asked here:
1. If I can receive those information you mentioned, I could make a little statistic.
2. For Trudy: what I mean with my sentence is that I am very disapointed about agencies in Germany.
My own answers to this survey would be: no, no, may be, if I could have jobs.
I live in Germany for a few years and I offered my CV to a lot of agencies. Only one has answered me and registered, but no job
... See more
First of all thank you for your answers.
Answers to some questions asked here:
1. If I can receive those information you mentioned, I could make a little statistic.
2. For Trudy: what I mean with my sentence is that I am very disapointed about agencies in Germany.
My own answers to this survey would be: no, no, may be, if I could have jobs.
I live in Germany for a few years and I offered my CV to a lot of agencies. Only one has answered me and registered, but no job yet.Not for pairs with Romanian, neither for German-English and vice-versa.
I admit I don't understand the world, considering all your very satisfied answers.Where are the jobs? How comes that many of you have so much to work that they already refuse jobs and why don't send the people to offer the jobs on ProZ, so that the others can also have a chance?
Coming back to me: in my country I was hunted for work and I couldn't do it, as I had a job in a public institution.I always offered lower prices. The only thing could be that in Germany there are no jobs, or because I am not a native-speaker.
Through ProZ I never received a job and to my bids I lost, there were to many. May be there is another reason: I don't have CAT and platinum.
Strange destiny: in my country I had a job and a lot to work, but I couldn't have a husband, here it is vice-versa.
I offered to work in teams here: no invitation. Am I so bad?
I don't think so.
Well, I will see all the answers and see.
Collapse

Alarch Gwyn
Alarch Gwyn  Identity Verified
German to English
Answers Jul 8, 2004

Hi Ruxi

Answers
1) Yes - but am a lazy sod at heart and don't like to overdo things

2) Don't bid (prices too low)- my profile is not very informative either (lack of time - lame excuse I know)

3) Yes - have financed second degree out of it (and an expensive degree at that) and have been completely freelance for 11 years.

About the high standard of English in Germany - well it exists in patches, but sometimes I get told - "part of it is al
... See more
Hi Ruxi

Answers
1) Yes - but am a lazy sod at heart and don't like to overdo things

2) Don't bid (prices too low)- my profile is not very informative either (lack of time - lame excuse I know)

3) Yes - have financed second degree out of it (and an expensive degree at that) and have been completely freelance for 11 years.

About the high standard of English in Germany - well it exists in patches, but sometimes I get told - "part of it is already in English, so just correct the bits that are incorrect" - and then I find that I can't understand what the author is going on about and I have to try to reconstruct the German in my mind.

There's an awful lot of poor English in circulation that never even gets within a mile of a native speaker and some of it is literally incomprehensible (unless you have an idea of German or rather a good idea of German).
Collapse

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 06:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Additional information on the availability of jobs Jul 8, 2004

Hi,

I copied this from a topic under Getting Established, where there is a very useful amount of suggestions on how to market yourself, etc.

I think that initially one must work hard to find new clients in a new country.

Best regards,
Patricia

http://www.proz.com/topics/19763

Making a client porfolio is not a short term task. You
... See more
Hi,

I copied this from a topic under Getting Established, where there is a very useful amount of suggestions on how to market yourself, etc.

I think that initially one must work hard to find new clients in a new country.

Best regards,
Patricia

http://www.proz.com/topics/19763

Making a client porfolio is not a short term task. You should follow job postings and keep sending applications, CVs etc.

As to the direction of flow of translation jobs, it is generally reverse to export of industrial machines, durable consumer products and other similar components.

If you "export" tourism, vegetables etc, obviously they will need less "manuals" .

Certainly there are some jobs in both direction but when you try to assign a weight to flows, obviously English (US,UK++) sell more "manuals", services, books, scientific researces etc.. to other direction.

Let us take patent translation, as an extreme example, it is almost impossible to find a Turkish-English patent(perhaps one or two) but there are thousand times English-Turkish patents.
As we only see aggregate amounts or sums in daily life, it may be misleading to see a few samples in both direction, but reality is nothing else that what I described above: If your target language is a good importer of your source language, you may have plenty of jobs, otherwise obviouly less.
Collapse

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:44
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dear Ruxi, Jul 8, 2004

Questions:
Yes, I am happy to report that I am so busy most of the time that I have to refuse work.

2. Have you ever received a job through ProZ? Yes, quite a bit (even before my Platinum time) and the last one I did a bid on has been has been keeping me so very busy now that I have to refuse others.

Regarding the CAT tools. I do not own a CAT tool and still go crazy with work. I know that it is import
... See more
Questions:
Yes, I am happy to report that I am so busy most of the time that I have to refuse work.

2. Have you ever received a job through ProZ? Yes, quite a bit (even before my Platinum time) and the last one I did a bid on has been has been keeping me so very busy now that I have to refuse others.

Regarding the CAT tools. I do not own a CAT tool and still go crazy with work. I know that it is important but I am so CAT challenged (too old and computer challenged to use them). I just keep extensive glossaries for all jobs that I do. So, I guess one can still exist without them. Don't know for how much longer.

Overall, Ruxi. Don't lose heart. I remember that when I started I also was without work for longer periods of time. I used my time to hone my skills (that is in my areas of expertise). I worked as a Red Cross volunteer at the Trauma Center of the Local Hospital. I was well-trained so they loved to have me and I learned a lot first-hand - things I still use for my medical translations. I still go there to see and learn new stuff first-hand.

I also worked for a general practitioner for 5+ years part-time. This was a country doctor who often accepted chickens, potatoes and vegetables for his fee because his patients did not have anything else to pay him with. Well, if he got paid in kind, I did too and did not mind it too much. I got very healthy with all those veggies. And, boy, did I learn. That doctor was a born teacher. Unfortunately, he passed away a couple of years ago.

I worked as a technical assitant in a bauxite plant (about 8 years) and absorbed a lot of technical knowledge there. That time was when I did not work as a translator.

I do not know how much work there is in your language combinations. Perhaps someone with more insight into that can answer you on that.

So, study and learn and keep bidding. Things will get better. It might take some time but it will, trust me.

Good luck and God Bless!
Lucinda
Collapse

Trudy Peters
Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:44
German to English
+ ...
Ruxi, let's get back to square one Jul 9, 2004

What country are you living in? It's not mentioned in your profile.

You say you graduated from a Polytechnic Institute -- in what country??

You mention German and English, but don't say from/into which language you translate.

Have you ever gotten any feedback on your translations?

Just a few thoughts...

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
All depends on the quality of your work Jul 9, 2004

and how you represent yourself.
In any case there is surely much work for DE > Romanian translators, and the market is grwoing at least 10 per cent annually, even more for east European countries.
But one should be careful that all contacts to customers are top quality, with bad English you will not get assignments. Hope your German is much better than your English, Ruxi.
Better go Platinum and be patient.
When getting a customer stick to the time table, answer all mail p
... See more
and how you represent yourself.
In any case there is surely much work for DE > Romanian translators, and the market is grwoing at least 10 per cent annually, even more for east European countries.
But one should be careful that all contacts to customers are top quality, with bad English you will not get assignments. Hope your German is much better than your English, Ruxi.
Better go Platinum and be patient.
When getting a customer stick to the time table, answer all mail politely and do a good job.
There is not more to it.
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
The times they are changing Jul 9, 2004

There used to be a time (the 80-ies) when there was no demand for Russian, Finnish,Estonian, Latvian, Lithouanian and other "exotic" languages.
Globalization and the enlargement of the E.U. changed that picture.
I think that in your case is would be wise to improve on your German and English as a preparation for concours LA-numberX with mother-tongue Roumanian or even consider an interpreter training. If Roumania becomes a E.U.-Member demand for both translation and interpreting is
... See more
There used to be a time (the 80-ies) when there was no demand for Russian, Finnish,Estonian, Latvian, Lithouanian and other "exotic" languages.
Globalization and the enlargement of the E.U. changed that picture.
I think that in your case is would be wise to improve on your German and English as a preparation for concours LA-numberX with mother-tongue Roumanian or even consider an interpreter training. If Roumania becomes a E.U.-Member demand for both translation and interpreting is going to rise. Doesn't the "accession" status of your country generate more demand. If you meet the demands to be a freelancer for the translation bureau of the E.U., why don't you apply there.
The implementation/translation of the E.U.-guidelines into Roumanain law surely must create loads of work.
Why don't you try the Benelux-market. Some Brussels translation agencies might be interested in your combination.
You could also add value to the services by digging into I.T. : computer-training, web-design, freelance programming etc could supplement your present offer. There are a lot of good and cheap courses with regard to I.T. available.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
my answers: Jul 9, 2004

1) I've only been translating full time for a little over a year, but after signing up with various agencies I had work coming in very soon and everything really started taking off this year - I've been constantly busy since February (after a dismal January in which I actually started looking for another job!)

2) I've never won a job for which I've made a bid, but I've been contacted by various clients through Proz and other translator websites, who've then offered me regular work.<
... See more
1) I've only been translating full time for a little over a year, but after signing up with various agencies I had work coming in very soon and everything really started taking off this year - I've been constantly busy since February (after a dismal January in which I actually started looking for another job!)

2) I've never won a job for which I've made a bid, but I've been contacted by various clients through Proz and other translator websites, who've then offered me regular work.

3) I don't live alone and my partner is a good earner, but yes, if things go on as they have been I should earn the same as I used to with a pretty decent job in the UK, with which I lived alone and paid a mortgage... which in Italy translates to a higher than average wage, I'd say.
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
A little survey for translation jobs Jul 9, 2004

Ruxi,

Have you considered joining a professional association?

I checked the online databases of the BDÜ (Germany), ATA (US), and the ITI and IoL (UK). For English > Romanian, these associations list 35, 33, 4 and 3 translators respectively (and one of the ITI's members is also in the IoL). So, if an ITI or IoL member in particular were to choose to pass work on to a member of the same association, or a customer were to look for an English to Romanian translator in one
... See more
Ruxi,

Have you considered joining a professional association?

I checked the online databases of the BDÜ (Germany), ATA (US), and the ITI and IoL (UK). For English > Romanian, these associations list 35, 33, 4 and 3 translators respectively (and one of the ITI's members is also in the IoL). So, if an ITI or IoL member in particular were to choose to pass work on to a member of the same association, or a customer were to look for an English to Romanian translator in one of these databases, your chances of getting the job would be very good.

Marc
Collapse

Ruxi
Ruxi
German to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some conclusions Jul 12, 2004

Thank you all for your kind answers.
I would like to show now the conclusions:

1. People here have a lot of jobs (if there were sincere answers),on local basis.
2. ProZ is not helpful in what jobs are concerned. Something has to be changed here.Many jobs wich don't have platinum or special requirements have a lot of bids, many others (including platinum jobs) don't have bids. Whom does this help?
3. One can live pretty well as a freelance translator.

R
... See more
Thank you all for your kind answers.
I would like to show now the conclusions:

1. People here have a lot of jobs (if there were sincere answers),on local basis.
2. ProZ is not helpful in what jobs are concerned. Something has to be changed here.Many jobs wich don't have platinum or special requirements have a lot of bids, many others (including platinum jobs) don't have bids. Whom does this help?
3. One can live pretty well as a freelance translator.

Regarding my own situation I can only say I have tried everything mentioned here (including UE), except translator associations. I am not sure these help somehow. They only collect money and registrations, but don't offer jobs.
Somebody said here, and he/she was right, in Germany (at least) everybody knows English (or so they think) and don't need translators and probably in UK or US everybody knows German.
Still I don't understand where your jobs are coming from in this case.
Romanian is not needed, so I have to give up, at least till my country will be admitted in the EU.
I still think translation market is very unbalanced: a lot of translators and very few jobs and the future will be worse probably.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A little survey for translation jobs

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »