Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 10, 2012

G'day everyone

An NDA that a client sent me to sign mentions EU dual use regulations. Googling a bit leaves me clueless. Can anyone tell me what this is all about? The NDA says: "...European Council Regulation (EC) No 1334/2000 of 22 June 2000, setting up a Community regime for the control of exports of dual-use items and technology transposed by the [local laws]." Anyone less clueless about this?

Thanks
Samuel

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
A brief insight... Jul 10, 2012

Hello Samuel,

as far as I understand, these are technologies and products which can have two or more applications, particularly important in fields such as nuclear technology, commodities etc. which can be used for arms development and such.

The key words underlying all this are peaceful and military.

The Wassenaar Arrangement was set up to address this.

Hope this helps.

P

[Edited at 2012-07-10 20:25 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:42
English to French
+ ...
refers to possible military use Jul 10, 2012

The term "dual use" refers to products or technology which, while ostensibly designed for civilian applications, can be used to produce weapons, especially in the sense of "mass destruction weapons".

That term ("dual use") has been in use for decades, and is referred to in a number of laws or other international treaties.

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:42
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Export controls on dual use goods Jul 10, 2012

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/creating-opportunities/trade-topics/dual-use/ :

"Goods and technologies are considered to be dual-use when they can be used for both civil and military purposes.
Dual-use export controls in the EU
The EU export control regime is governed by Regulation 428/2009. The list of controlled dual-use items is set out in Ann
... See more
http://ec.europa.eu/trade/creating-opportunities/trade-topics/dual-use/ :

"Goods and technologies are considered to be dual-use when they can be used for both civil and military purposes.
Dual-use export controls in the EU
The EU export control regime is governed by Regulation 428/2009. The list of controlled dual-use items is set out in Annex I to Regulation 428/2009. Items not listed in Annex I may also be subject to export controls under certain conditions specified in the Regulation.
Under the EU regime, controlled items may not leave the EU customs territory without an export authorisation. Additional restrictions are also in place concerning the provision of brokering services with regard to dual-use items and concerning the transit of such items through the EU."

Such goods and technologies are subject to export controls to ensure that transfers do not contribute to the development or enhancement of military capabilities that undermine the goals of the nations participating in the so-called international control regimes (see below) and are not diverted to support such capabilities. Lists of such items are agreed by the international control regimes: Wassenaar Arrangement (conventional arms and related dual-use items), Nuclear Suppliers Group (dual-use items related to nuclear weapons), Australia Group (dual-use items related to chemical and biological warfare agents) and the Missile Technology Control Regime.

Anyone wishing to export controlled items must apply for an export licence.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:42
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Jul 11, 2012

G'day everyone

Thanks for your responses. All this means is that the clause in the NDA is relevant to the client but not to me, so it simply gets deleted. After all, should it really be my responsibility (as a kitchen-table translator) to ensure that the client's client's products are not used to create nuclear weapons?

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dual use items in the EU

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »