Thread poster: Francesca moletta

Francesca moletta
Italy
Local time: 21:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 14, 2004

Hello everybody,

some minutes ago something crazy happened to me and I would like to share this experience with you.

Last week I sent my résumé to a Canadian agency. I pointed out that I only translate from English and French into Italian; the agency's owner replied that sometimes they need translations from Italian into EN and FR and he asked if I could do that. I said yes (although I only translate into EN or FR for friends and relatives!). I didn't find that request very professional, anyway.
Some minutes ago this person sent me a translation test ... from ENGLISH into FRENCH ! That's crazy, don't you think so? How can a translation company's owner ask a translator to translate between 2 foreign languages?
I only had this kind of request once, but that was a direct customer with any knowledge in translation matters.
Similar experiences?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxIanW
German to English
+ ...
Stick to your principles Jul 14, 2004

It's hard to believe an agency would be as unprofessional as that. If I were you, I would refuse it, repeat that you translate only into your native language and be very careful in your dealings with them

All the best

Ian

Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I refused Jul 14, 2004

Dear Ian,

I refused and I'm now waiting for his reply, if ever he would reply!

thx

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
German to English
+ ...
I'm with Ian on this one Jul 14, 2004

Hi Molly,

Ian is, in my opinion, perfectly right. I've also had agencies asking me to translate in German and besides the fact that it's not my native language I wouldn't do it because it would just take me too much time (I can write pretty well in German, but I'm not going to kid myself that I'm as good as a native - no way!)

Translating between two non-native languages would just be crazy and I can't imagine it being profitable.

ATB,

Sarah

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Did I miss something here? Jul 14, 2004

I agree that you were right to refuse to work between foreign languages. Likewise, the agency doesn't look too savvy either.
What I DON'T get is this part:

mollyf wrote:

The agency's owner replied that sometimes they need translations from Italian into EN and FR and he asked if I could do that. I said yes (although I only translate into EN or FR for friends and relatives!). I didn't find that request very professional, anyway.

Why did you say yes if you usually translate into EN and FR only for friends? And why did you say yes if you found the question unprofessional to start with? I'm not surprised the agency gave it a go.
Or did I miss something here?
Catherine

Francesca moletta
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
mistake Jul 14, 2004

thank you for your suggestions.

The agency's owner replied that the test was sent (to me) by mistake ...
I hope that's true (maybe he wrote that because he realized that his approach was totally unprofessional!). Who knows ...

xxxMichaelRS
Also curious Jul 14, 2004

I'm curious too ... why would it be unprofessional if someone asked if you can translate from a native language into another? Some people are raised in bilingual households, but still feel that one language is their "native language". Since the customer doesn't know you, I don't understand the problem with asking.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translation between foreign languages

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs