How much to charge for book?
Thread poster: Nikolaus Halter

Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:31
English to German
+ ...
Jul 19, 2004

I have a question.

Does one generally charge more per word for book translations? Or less, since it's steady work for a month or more?

Nikolaus Halter

Direct link Reply with quote

Agua  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not too sure, but not less... Jul 19, 2004

I do not know for sure. I think you should get standard rates plus a percentage for royalties.

Charging less because it is steady does not make sense, because you would be lowering your quality of life and may be even lose clients because you can not do other projects, while not earning the same money...

Jan Pott  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
Partial member (2007)
German to Dutch
+ ...
It all depends... Jul 19, 2004

Assuming you're not one of those lucky people that are so much in demand that they have assignments that keep them busy 36 hours or more per week...
assuming that your rate is based on bridgeing those idle hours and what drop if you had a steady supply of assignments...
you can charge less for the translation of a book that keeps you busy for a month or more.
I've dropped as much as 25 % in times I had little work. But, I always bargain for a deadline that gives me enough flexibility to do small assignments on the side, to keep the regular customers happy. If no work comes up on the side, I can deliver the book translation so much earlier, which always makes publishers happy...

Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:31
German to Italian
+ ...
My 2 cents Jul 20, 2004

Hi, have a look at this recent thread I think it really depends on the rates in your country.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for book?

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs