Hide my identification?
Thread poster: Andrea Appel

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 20:25
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2004

Hello, my name is clearly an italian name for a man. (Chhee mom) I got an offer to work for an italian company and the product manager sends me e-mails with little italian phrases like "Buon fine settimana"
an so on. Well I am not sure if I should agree to take on the contract. I did send my resume with my language pairs and italian was not included. So do you think I should let this project manager now that I am a woman, dont speak italian, and have no italian history. He seems very friendly but I honestly think I would disappoint him.
I do not want to offend anybody in this forum by writing this.
Kind regards
A. (-:

[Edited at 2004-07-23 12:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 02:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Why should you hide identification Jul 23, 2004

Andrea @work wrote:

Hello, my name is clearly an italian name for a man. (Chhee mom) I got an offer to work for an italian company and the product manager sends me e-mails with little italian phrases like "Buon fine settimana"
an so on. Well I am not sure if I should agree to take on the contract. I did send my resume with my language pairs and italian was not included. So do you think I should let this project manager now that I am a woman, dont speak italian, and have no italian history. He seems very friendly but I honestly think I would disappoint him.
I do not want to offend anybody in this forum by writing this.
Kind regards
A. (-:

[Edited at 2004-07-23 12:00]

Hi Andrea,

I see no harm in someone making such a mistake, if it's a mistake at all. Just inform him that you're not the Italian he thinks you are, in a friendly manner.
Maybe he simply likes to send little phrases in Italian because he's Italian, or because he's happy it's Friday?
I sometimes end my mails with 'Ciao', or 'Bye bye for now', while I'm not Italian nor English. Anyway, don't get things like this worry you.

Ciao en prettig weekend,

Evert

Just be up front Jul 23, 2004

Dear Andrea,

If the man wants Eng-Ger / Ger-Eng, I don't see a problem. As to hiding your gender, depending on his orientation, he might either be thrilled or disappointed on your revelation that "Andrea" can also be a women's name. Problably he just wants a decent translation and doesn't really care about your gender.

Going through life, I have found that being up-front about anything and everything is easiest.

Thanks again for your help with the pop-ups, Google seemed to have got it, but I have all the other suggestions on file - just in case. (as you see, I'm a cautious person).

Best regards
Linda

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
I wouldn't Jul 23, 2004

Hi,

Why do you think that he thinks you are a man? Only because he is Italian? I presume you correspond in English with him, so I think this project manager should know that Andrea is a feminine name in other languages. And even if he doesn't, I don't see the problem (am I missing anything?): he was looking for a translator, you are one.

Adding a little Italian sentence at the end of an email in English (I presume) like that is just a nice "courtesy", being polite and trying to make everything less formal or stiff, somehow preparing a good basis for a pleasant cooperation (or is there anything else in the messages he has written that makes you presume anything unpleasant?)

If you feel that there is something not okay, just refuse the offer and stop corresponding.

Buon weekend

Giuliana

vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 03:25
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Don't read too much into it Jul 23, 2004

I agree with the other two posters that the product manager probably means no harm. Like Giuliana, I'm assuming that the Italian phrases are especially at the end of a message. If they are not, simply mention in a reply mail that those phrases are unfortunately lost on you since you don't speak any Italian.

Groetjes,
Marianne

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
If he's Italian, Jul 23, 2004

... then I'm sure he'll be delighted to learn that you're a woman.

fxb  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
As far as I am concerned... Jul 23, 2004

Hello

I am a French PM working for an Italian Company and many of my clients live/work abroad. With my translators and my clients, I am used to write, at the beginning/end of our e-mails, some words in my mothertongue, on in my contact's language. This is more friendly, don't you think?

Kind regards

fxb

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don´t mind his phrase! Jul 23, 2004

fxb wrote:

Hello

I am a French PM working for an Italian Company and many of my clients live/work abroad. With my translators and my clients, I am used to write, at the beginning/end of our e-mails, some words in my mothertongue, on in my contact\'s language. This is more friendly, don\'t you think?

Kind regards

fxb

Hello

yes this is indeed very friendly, I do it too. I just did not want to dissapoint him because of his friendly manner.

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
lol lol Jul 23, 2004

TonyTK wrote:

... then I'm sure he'll be delighted to learn that you're a woman.

I know what country you come from! (-:
In no cirumstances at all did I feel insulted whith his phrases, or got a bad feeling, I actually also find that this is a nice gesture, but this is why I feel bad.

huh, women can be complicated

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Jul 23, 2004

LInda Bolzern wrote:

Dear Andrea,

If the man wants Eng-Ger / Ger-Eng, I don't see a problem. As to hiding your gender, depending on his orientation, he might either be thrilled or disappointed on your revelation that "Andrea" can also be a women's name. Problably he just wants a decent translation and doesn't really care about your gender.

Going through life, I have found that being up-front about anything and everything is easiest.

Thanks again for your help with the pop-ups, Google seemed to have got it, but I have all the other suggestions on file - just in case. (as you see, I'm a cautious person).

Best regards
Linda

Yes this is true Linda, being honest is always your best bid.

Andrea Appel
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hello Giuliana Jul 23, 2004

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hi,

Why do you think that he thinks you are a man? Only because he is Italian? I presume you correspond in English with him, so I think this project manager should know that Andrea is a feminine name in other languages. And even if he doesn't, I don't see the problem (am I missing anything?): he was looking for a translator, you are one.

Adding a little Italian sentence at the end of an email in English (I presume) like that is just a nice "courtesy", being polite and trying to make everything less formal or stiff, somehow preparing a good basis for a pleasant cooperation (or is there anything else in the messages he has written that makes you presume anything unpleasant?)

If you feel that there is something not okay, just refuse the offer and stop corresponding.

Buon weekend

Giuliana

Ciao Giuliana

Thanks for your response, I do understand that this is nice courtesy. And he has very good manners this is why I feel guilty, also my second name is italian so this is where the confusion came from.
Mamma Mia what a disaster (-: (-:
Ciao Giuliana

[Edited at 2004-07-23 15:24]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:25
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
The gender sometimes is confusing Jul 23, 2004

as I myself have discovered from relations with, say, Japanese clients. I have tried to guess and in 2/3 of a cases it was wrong (as it later turned out). Good that they didn't take offence

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hide my identification?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs