Thread poster: Pedro Serra
Pedro Serra
Pedro Serra  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:31
English to Portuguese
Sep 12, 2012

Hello everyone!

I was planning on posting this in the Translation Agencies section but, for some unknown reason, I couldn't.
Well, here is my question.
I've recently started working with a new translation agency. They offer live over the phone translations and some audio to text tasks. My question is related with their payment rates. As I've never had to chance to work with audio-to-text tasks, I do not know if they rates are acceptable.
Is 0.50$ per audio minute a
... See more
Hello everyone!

I was planning on posting this in the Translation Agencies section but, for some unknown reason, I couldn't.
Well, here is my question.
I've recently started working with a new translation agency. They offer live over the phone translations and some audio to text tasks. My question is related with their payment rates. As I've never had to chance to work with audio-to-text tasks, I do not know if they rates are acceptable.
Is 0.50$ per audio minute a fair rate (non-live tasks)?
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 21:31
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Pricing issues for audio services Sep 12, 2012

Like you, I always find it rather difficult finding the best way to price work involving audio transcription.

Generally, as a very rough rule-of-thumb based on a long-term working average, I operate on a ball-park figure of 1 minute of audio = 10 minutes of transcription/translation. No doubt a more experienced audio typist could do the transcription part faster, but there will always remain the translation element.

So working on that basis, I would be doing 6 minutes o
... See more
Like you, I always find it rather difficult finding the best way to price work involving audio transcription.

Generally, as a very rough rule-of-thumb based on a long-term working average, I operate on a ball-park figure of 1 minute of audio = 10 minutes of transcription/translation. No doubt a more experienced audio typist could do the transcription part faster, but there will always remain the translation element.

So working on that basis, I would be doing 6 minutes of audio per hour — meaning $3 / hour at your suggested rate. Personally, I wouldn't be prepared to work for that.

Naturally, rates will also be influenced by issues of supply and demand in your particualr language pair.
Collapse

Tristan Jimenez
Tristan Jimenez  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Too low.. Sep 12, 2012

Hi Pedro,

I totally agree with Tony : you wouldn't get paid much accepting that rate...

I have done some transcription works in the past at 0.90 GBP per audio minute, which was roughly 3 times more than what they are offering you. And this was only for transcribing English, or French audio tracks. And I was transcribing 1 audio hour in about 5 hours.

Adding the translation part to it, I would recommand you multiply that rate 'at least' per 2. I personnaly w
... See more
Hi Pedro,

I totally agree with Tony : you wouldn't get paid much accepting that rate...

I have done some transcription works in the past at 0.90 GBP per audio minute, which was roughly 3 times more than what they are offering you. And this was only for transcribing English, or French audio tracks. And I was transcribing 1 audio hour in about 5 hours.

Adding the translation part to it, I would recommand you multiply that rate 'at least' per 2. I personnaly wouldn't work for less than that.

Hope this helps!

Have a good day!
Collapse

Pedro Serra
Pedro Serra  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:31
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 12, 2012

Tristan and Tony,

Thank you very much for your reply. I though so, but I decided to get some feedback for someone with more experience on these types of tasks.
Once again, thank you!

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Double double, avoid the trouble Sep 13, 2012

Tristan Jimenez wrote:

... I would recommand you multiply that rate 'at least' per 2. ...

I agree. In general, as a rule of thumb in questions like this, I always set out from the assumption that whatever an agency wants to pay you (for any service) will be about half of what you would like to get paid, or what you consider reasonable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Agency issue

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »