https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/23351-opinions_on_translation_office_3000.html

Opinions on Translation Office 3000
Thread poster: Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Jul 28, 2004

Hi!
I have seen ads on a software called Tranlsation Office 3000, an accounting and marketing system directed to freelance translators. Does anyone have the software? What do you think of it? What have you who have not purchased it heard/what do you think?

The bookkeeping is the most boring part of this job, but it has to be done and I just want to make it as easy as possible.

Thank you for your input.

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hi Terese Jul 28, 2004

There are many a thread covering this topic in general, as well as Translation Office 3000 in particular, in these forums. I recommend you do a search for "accounting" and/or "Translation Office 3000", and you will be able to read a wealth of opinion... See more
There are many a thread covering this topic in general, as well as Translation Office 3000 in particular, in these forums. I recommend you do a search for "accounting" and/or "Translation Office 3000", and you will be able to read a wealth of opinions.

Here is just a sample:
http://www.proz.com/post/158890
http://www.proz.com/post/142729
http://www.proz.com/post/121729
http://www.proz.com/post/95211

Myself, I am delighted with it.

Cheers,

Susana Galilea
Accredited Translator EUTI
[email protected]
www.accentonspanish.com

[Edited at 2004-07-28 04:21]
Collapse

00000000 (X)
00000000 (X)
English to French
+ ...
Not interesting for most people Jul 28, 2004

I bought it precisely for that and I never used it in the end. It's possibly good for people or agencies who quote on a lot of jobs in several countries and want to keep track of their prices and where things stand with their prospective and actual projects.

Nothing for book-keeping. I've learned to handle Excel enough to take care of all my needs: one spreadsheet for invoices and one for expenses. My billing sheet has the following colums, if it can help you get started:

... See more
I bought it precisely for that and I never used it in the end. It's possibly good for people or agencies who quote on a lot of jobs in several countries and want to keep track of their prices and where things stand with their prospective and actual projects.

Nothing for book-keeping. I've learned to handle Excel enough to take care of all my needs: one spreadsheet for invoices and one for expenses. My billing sheet has the following colums, if it can help you get started:

Date of invoice
Client
Invoice number
Amount invoiced
Amount received
Date of payment
Reminder 1
Reminder 2
Comments

For expenses, you just list them, with a columfor the date and one to identify the type and when you get better at Excel, you can make charts and stuff.

Best,
Esther
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
End your book-keeping misery - use a package Jul 28, 2004

I agree with Susana Galilea - I am delighted with it, and there are many threads about it (including more comments from me).

A good example of why I like it - yesterday I got an e-mail from a customer for whom I have recently done a number of small translation jobs. Because of holidays, they wanted the invoice today.
Thanks to the fact that I had been conscientious about recording details in TO3000 about customers, contacts (project managers), jobs I have done, rates I charge
... See more
I agree with Susana Galilea - I am delighted with it, and there are many threads about it (including more comments from me).

A good example of why I like it - yesterday I got an e-mail from a customer for whom I have recently done a number of small translation jobs. Because of holidays, they wanted the invoice today.
Thanks to the fact that I had been conscientious about recording details in TO3000 about customers, contacts (project managers), jobs I have done, rates I charge for different kinds of work, currencies etc, I was able to rapidly bundle up five small jobs into one invoice and send it off - all within minutes. Previously that would have taken much more time and mental anguish. All the boring business aspects of this job are contained in one (fairly intuitive) package.
Collapse

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:28
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Nice software Jul 28, 2004

I bought a few months ago and I'm very much happy with it. Due to my language combination, I work with many agencies but in small volumes so that means lots and lots of invoicing and tracking. Translation Office saved me a lot of time.

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:58
English to Hindi
+ ...
Great for freelancers...not so for Agencies Jul 28, 2004

It is great for freelancers..it keeps track of jobs, invoices, payments, clients, accounts, rates, deadlines etc. It generates invoices, various reports and does all the things in minutes which used to take me hours. But, though they say it is useful for agencies also, I have a different opinion.

Agencies have to deal with Clients as well as with translators. It lacks features for the later part. You cannot keep track of files being processed by the translators, expenses, translato
... See more
It is great for freelancers..it keeps track of jobs, invoices, payments, clients, accounts, rates, deadlines etc. It generates invoices, various reports and does all the things in minutes which used to take me hours. But, though they say it is useful for agencies also, I have a different opinion.

Agencies have to deal with Clients as well as with translators. It lacks features for the later part. You cannot keep track of files being processed by the translators, expenses, translators' deadlines, rates, languages, payment terms and other details.
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:28
German to Spanish
For agencies maybe the best is... Jul 28, 2004

Anil Goyal wrote:

It is great for freelancers..

for agencies also, I have a different opinion.

Agencies have to deal with Clients as well as with translators. It lacks features for the later part. You cannot keep track of files being processed by the translators, expenses, translators' deadlines, rates, languages, payment terms and other details.

TOM 5 (http://www.jovo-soft.de/)

but expensive. For me as freelance, Practicount (counting docs + invoicing) + Excel (for simple accounting procedures) is more than enough.

CU

Toledo

[Edited at 2004-07-28 14:51]

[Edited at 2004-07-28 15:55]

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 06:28
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Quicken? Jul 28, 2004

Thanks for all your comments and links. Anyone using Quicken as their tool? That is what I have been using so far, but it does not remind me to send reminders etc....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opinions on Translation Office 3000

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »