Canada
Local time: 18:37
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Jul 31, 2004

Hi all,
I recently received this message from PayPal:
IF YOU OPENED A PAYPAL ACCOUNT BETWEEN OCTOBER 1999 AND JANUARY 2004, YOU MAY BE ENTITLED TO A PAYMENT FROM A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT.

PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY.

there's lots of info there. I'm just wondering how many of you received the same note?

Nancy

Direct link Reply with quote

Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I guess many others have Jul 31, 2004

Hello Nancy,

On the 28th of July some people reported this, including myself. However, today I just received the same message. See http://www.proz.com/topic/23385

Best regards,

Elías

[Edited at 2004-07-31 13:59]

xxxTatiana Nero  Identity Verified
Russian
+ ...
A lawsuit it is Jul 31, 2004

Hello all

I do not know the particulars about this lawsuit (if it really covers customers who have opened their accounts from 1999 to 2004), but here is the URL to the news about it:

http://news.com.com/2100-1017-842240.html

I do use Paypal a lot as a buyer (on Ebay), but I abstain from receiving money through it - service is too expensive compared to the other service I use, and after reading their rules, I understood that protection offered rather goes to Buyer's than to Seller's part of transaction. I now see many people on Ebay saying "No Paypal" in their terms of payment.

Tatiana Neroni
USA

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Elias, I had missed that thread Jul 31, 2004

Thanks too to Tatiana, I had no idea they were unpopular on E-bay. I thought they were a division of E-Bay ?? I'm so confused...
N.

xxxMichaelRS
Local time: 00:37
Paypal Jul 31, 2004

I read through the notice once and then deleted it. I had a Paypal account for a few months at some point within the time frame, but never used it.

Near as I can tell, there is a "short form" (which is also on the Paypal website) in which you can report a minor event with Paypal and get $50.

There is also a "long form" if you had a more major problem - you may get more money.

I never had a problem (because I never used the account), so I'm not going to lie on the short form to get $50. I assume a lot of people will, and I also assume that it would be very difficult to go through and check millions of short-form applications.

In short, the people getting the real money are the attorneys - I think somewhat over $3 million. That's usually how it works in a class-action suit.

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
I got the same notice Jul 31, 2004

I then went to the address given (typing it independentely, in case the email was spoofing paypal). Looks like it's genuine, not a phishing effort.

Didn't read it through, though. I think the lawyers are getting some USD3 million -- any idea how much the average user will get, pennies?

Aziz

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Apparently it pertains only US accounts Jul 31, 2004

I opened my account in 2002 and I never received the notice.

I have to say that I use PayPal a lot, as it is cheaper, quicker and safer than clearing US checks in Italy (40/50 days after deposit + 10/15 days without interest + fees). And I never had any problem with PayPal.

The only issue is that their rules are very strict and complex. Which is understandable: only in this way they could manage to free us from unfair bank cartel regulations! (If you do not live in Europe you probably do not know what I am talking about).

My impression is that a very large part of the disputes come from the users that did not manage to read or fully understand or adhere to the strict regulations.

After all we, overseas user, will pay the legal bill and the payment for these "claims". Which is not nice.

However, as soon as PayPal was bought by Ebay, recently, they rised their fees, and I guess this is only the first step...

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Paypal Jul 31, 2004

you really should have a look here before going paypal : the story of the ex-manager, an eye-opener.

http://paypalsucks.com/PayPalFormerEmployee1.shtml

Jane Lamb-Ruiz  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
news chronology Aug 1, 2004

I think one has to bear in mind the chronology of events re Paypal. All I know is, I never do credit card transactions with them. Why would one? And they are only able to credit to my bank account. So I don't see how I could have my account frozen. Of course, I don't think you can have money posted into a bank account in every country.

Some of the articles mentioned here are quite old. I do not defend PP but think that old news requires being put into perspective and it would be nice for the original poster to find out the latest official or unofficial scoop re paypal.

cheers

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 01:37
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why don't people use Visa directly? Aug 1, 2004

When I set up my account with Visa I paid only 80 Euro for my share, which will returned to me when resigning. Fees are less then 0,2 %.
I wonder what got into those Americans with their PayPal and oldfashioned checks.
No offence meant.

NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
The very latest, Jane Aug 1, 2004

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:
Some of the articles mentioned here are quite old. I do not defend PP but think that old news requires being put into perspective and it would be nice for the original poster to find out the latest official or unofficial scoop re paypal.

I posted this note as soon as I got a chance to do so after receiving the message in my in-box. I knew nothing of it before.
Here is a clipping:
On June 11, 2004, the parties entered into a formal, written Settlement Agreement, which is on file with the Court and available on the Internet at https://www.paypal.com/settlement/.[/quote]
so it's the latest.
Nancy
PS In January of this year, when I tried to transfer money from my PayPal account to my bank account, the banking details I entered were refused (the very same banking details that outsourcers all over the world have successfully used to pay me). As a result, I was dinged 30 dollars, and still had no access to my hard-earned money.
Believe me, I will be filling in the form.
N.

Giacomo Camaiora  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
transaction without credit card information Aug 1, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

When I set up my account with Visa I paid only 80 Euro for my share, which will returned to me when resigning. Fees are less then 0,2 %.
I wonder what got into those Americans with their PayPal and oldfashioned checks.
No offence meant.

The main advantage of PayPal is that you don't need credit card information to move money via the internet net.

Giacomo

xxxcvaudry
French to English
closing paypal account Aug 18, 2004

Interesting. I have just been on the Paypal site and apparently they retain your details even if you close your account....I don't know if this practice is justifiable or not but I don't like it!! (And do they mean contact details or all your details, including bank account numbers ? And indefinitely ??)

This is from the site:

"E. Accessing and Changing Your Information

....... You can also close your account through the PayPal Web site. If you close your PayPal account, we will mark your account in our database as "Closed," but will keep your account information in our database. This is necessary in order to deter fraud, by ensuring that persons who try to commit fraud will not be able to avoid detection simply by closing their account and opening a new account. However, if you close your account, your personally identifiable information will not be used by us for any further purposes, nor sold or shared with third parties, except as necessary to prevent fraud and assist law enforcement, or as required by law (for example, to send former Money Market Fund investors a report of dividends paid during the calendar year for tax reporting purposes). "

I'm going to spend more time on the site looking into this.

Claire

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal class action suit

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs