Copywriting rates
Thread poster: J Lewis (X)
J Lewis (X)
J Lewis (X)
Aug 19, 2001

I am contemplating accepting a copywriting project from English into English. However, I am unsure of reasonable rates. Could you advise me ASAP? Thanks

Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
French to English
+ ...
Aug 21, 2001

I usually invoice hourly for this kind of work - my hourly rate varies enormously according to the type of document and the technical / specific nature of the content.

And always negotiated in advance with the customer...

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 22:53
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 26, 2001

Advising on this topic is hardly possible. I have seen rates ranging from 15 US$ to over 100 US$ per hour.

All depends on the country you\'re living in, the company you\'re working for, your accomplishments or track record, topic, volume, deadlines, source text etc.

By the way, don\'t accept work when you haven\'t seen the actual text, you could be in for a very nasty treat.

When I\'m asked to make a proposal, I always cut it short, by asking what they\'r
... See more
Advising on this topic is hardly possible. I have seen rates ranging from 15 US$ to over 100 US$ per hour.

All depends on the country you\'re living in, the company you\'re working for, your accomplishments or track record, topic, volume, deadlines, source text etc.

By the way, don\'t accept work when you haven\'t seen the actual text, you could be in for a very nasty treat.

When I\'m asked to make a proposal, I always cut it short, by asking what they\'re willing to pay (this often worked out fine!).

If I then find their rates acceptable, I just go for it.

If not, I decline and also tell the outsourcer why I can\'t accept, or I send them a counterproposal I could accept (after assessment of the job). It\'s as simple as that.

Kind regards,

Evert Deloof-Sys

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:53
SITE FOUNDER
Sep 7, 2001

Sometimes, the question of how the material will be used is taken into account in pricing copywriting. If you write an ad, a name, etc., the biggest factor in pricing will be how many people will read/hear it.

So you should charge more for a catch-phrase written for a global ad campaign than you would for one that will only be run on a local radio station.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Copywriting rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »