Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]
Free work as a favour to a friend - how much is reasonable?
Thread poster: Eileen Ferguson
Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:09
German to English
+ ...
Tell him what you would normally charge for the job/favour Oct 22, 2012

Tell him what you would normally charge for such a job.
Maybe even express it in terms of "hours of your time".

That might open his eyes?

kmtext
kmtext
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:09
English
+ ...
There are limits Oct 23, 2012

I'd translate a page or two for free for a friend, and there are a couple of people for whom I would do major projects for free (depending on the timescale) because they've been very good to me in the past, but this sounds like someone's taking serious liberties! I'm not sure I could type out 177 pages in that timescale, far less translate them. In this case, I would refuse to do it for free, but would consider quoting at a lower rate than usual.

On the subject of retyping text from
... See more
I'd translate a page or two for free for a friend, and there are a couple of people for whom I would do major projects for free (depending on the timescale) because they've been very good to me in the past, but this sounds like someone's taking serious liberties! I'm not sure I could type out 177 pages in that timescale, far less translate them. In this case, I would refuse to do it for free, but would consider quoting at a lower rate than usual.

On the subject of retyping text from a pdf, like one of the other posters said, I wouldn't do that. It's more cost-effective to save as text or to print out and scan to OCR.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free work as a favour to a friend - how much is reasonable?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »