Mobile menu

Name screening charge in the UK
Thread poster: Evva
Evva
Local time: 01:14
English to Polish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2004

I had an agency asking me for a consultation on a new name for their client's new range of products.
They require information about pronouncability, negative meaning, use of the word in relation to products of this type etc.
Have you ever worked on a project like this? If yes how much did/would you charge.
Thanks for your help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:14
Spanish to English
+ ...
25 Euro Aug 9, 2004

I think the going rate for that type of work is about 25 euro

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:14
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't do it, I should say. Aug 9, 2004

Never done it, but in my opinion, that's a very specific publicity agency job that includes marketing, psycological, and even sociological studies. Image you invent the name "Coca-Cola"... are you going to charge 25 dollars for it?
I should say: don't do it.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Yes / hourly rate Aug 10, 2004

Evva wrote:
Have you ever worked on a project like this? If yes how much did/would you charge.

There's an agency very well rated in the Blue Board that often needs people in different countries for such kind of studies. I don't remember exactly how it happened to me, whether they proposed a rate or I asked for it but it was something similar to hourly rate.
For such a job you need your linguistic skills and also to be able to analyse how words, names and sounds work in the local psychology. It can be very interesting.

Good luck

Claudia

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Hourly Rates Aug 11, 2004

I've done a number of jobs like this and suggest charging hourly rates.

And as Tayfun stated you would never invent Coca Cola! You will be checking pre-invented Coca Cola's!

Evva
Local time: 01:14
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Aug 11, 2004

Thank you all for answering my question.
I've just completed the job and it's not like inventing Coca-Cola at all (thanks God for that). It's a quite good fun actually.
Unfortunately I haven't got chance to see your answers before agreeing the price so of course I undercharged my client
Now richer in a new experience I'd say that Tayfun's proposition would be the best for me. I had 5 names to evaluate and instead of agreeing the set price I should have charged each name separately.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Name screening charge in the UK

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs