https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/23853-relocating_from_uk_to_europe.html

Relocating from UK to Europe
Thread poster: JabTrad
JabTrad
JabTrad  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:20
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2004

Could anyone tell me if you can use a British-made PC in Europe without too many adaptors? The power supply adaptors I know about of course, but do you need a different kind of modem cable?
Might it be better to buy a locally made PC?

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
No - you don't need adapters Aug 15, 2004

Hi!
I moved from London to Germany at the start of the year, taking my laptop with me. You don't need any special adapters apart from the usual travel adapter for your plug. And you don't even need that if you buy a European plug cable. PCs are designed to be used internationally so all the sockets on the PC can take any cables you need. You may find that your modem needs replacing but not the PC.
Gillian

JabTrad
JabTrad  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 15, 2004

Thanks Gillian, that's very helpful.

Hans G. Liepert
Hans G. Liepert  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 16:20
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
UK/Europe Aug 15, 2004

jab01 wrote:
... but do you need a different kind of modem cable?
Might it be better to buy a locally made PC?

The fact that you consider the UK and Europe different categories, was amusing.

What do you mean: Europe? Each and every country has different connectors, but the cable may remain the same, you just need an adaptor for a few Euros (less in Pounds). Are you using the usual 56K modem, ISDN or DSL?
Best thing is, to get in contact with the local computer trade chains. I'm traveling extensively in continental Europe and always carry a small bag with adaptors - we'll never be united, as long as they can make money on a different set of plugs.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:20
Spanish to English
+ ...
Modem cable (wall end is possibly different) Aug 15, 2004

I relocated for one year from Spain to Ireland, with my Spanish computer. All I needed were adaptor plugs and a different modem cable (the wall end was different, the computer end identical).

I imagine Ireland and the UK to be very similar, so in reverse it seems that all you may need are the same - adaptors and a different modem cable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Relocating from UK to Europe

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »