Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
code of conduct of translation agency (extract)... what do you think about that ?
Thread poster: Marie Hélène AFONSO
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 04:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nicely put Dec 20, 2012

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Unfortunately what many of the companies with these penalty schemes fail to realize is that most of the time these errors, especially the minor ones, are not the result of the translator's incompetence, but rather a result of the lack of proper time given to the translator to complete the job. How many times would you have to read, re-read and edit a 20,000 word project in order to make sure that there are less than 3 mistakes and would the client be willing to wait that long?

I think this is a scheme to get lower rates since only the uninitiated and the easily intimidated would agree to work under these conditions.

My thoughts exactly.

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Good lord! Dec 20, 2012

And where is the definition of a "minor" error?

This could be punctuation. And this is a debatable topic in English.

This could be style or word choice, which again is debatable and an issue of taste.

I would never accept this.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Unacceptable Dec 20, 2012

This "code of conduct" is simply unacceptable. Never ever accept to work for this agency or another one with similar terms and conditions again.

There are actually some very good, fair and reliable agencies around so you do have a choice!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Indeed Dec 20, 2012

Mark Hamlen wrote:

This could be style or word choice, which again is debatable and an issue of taste.

For instance if Mark's post (above) were a translation, I could identify at least 6 "errors" in his English, and refuse to pay for them.

They're not errors at all, just nuances of style that wouldn't quite fit with my own style. So who's to say what an "error" is?

[Edited at 2012-12-20 09:41 GMT]

asia20002
asia20002  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Me too Dec 20, 2012

I would never agree for these conditions. It is not really a "code of conduct", which usually refers to a company's own ethical rules and behaviours.
Besides, it just leads to conflicts about a translation because you can a have a different view on your translated text than this agency. I don'tthink it is right to assess a translation based on two or three minor errors, especially when it is quite long.

Joanna

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Tom Dec 20, 2012

I can probably find the errors, too. But I like your point!!

Tom in London wrote:

Mark Hamlen wrote:

For instance if Mark's post (above) were a translation, I could identify at least 6 "errors" in his English, and refuse to pay for them.

They're not errors at all, just nuances of style that wouldn't quite fit with my own style. So who's to say what an "error" is?

[Edited at 2012-12-20 09:41 GMT]

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
English to French
Trying to make this clause fair. Dec 20, 2012

A potential client tried to make me sign such an agreement. I answered that I would only sign it if I could add a clause stating that errors found couldn't be a matter of style and word/punctuation preferences, to avoid being underpaid because of an overzealous proofreader.

The PM said he would come back to me regarding this "issue", but never did. I think that says it all.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
Meanwhile.... Dec 20, 2012

You are to be congratulated on your honestly and frankness with us, but...

Marie Hélène AFONSO wrote:

I was in a rush due to problems with PC and software and was late in delivering the file. They told me it was urgent, that the file had to be revised imediately so I sent a translation that was unsatisfactory to my own eyes.

...with or without the particular clauses in the agreement (regarding which I tend to agree with the analysis of the others in terms of what they say about the agency), if you accept work you haven't got time to do well (for whatever reason), and then deliver poor quality work after the deadline, some kind of financial penalty is almost inevitable.

In a way, you are fortunate, because you do have the benefit of seeing the scale that is being applied. This is not always what happens (to judge from other posts in the past).

But otherwise, as others have pointed out, if you don't like the T&C, don't work for them.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:36
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Seconded Dec 20, 2012

neilmac wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Unfortunately what many of the companies with these penalty schemes fail to realize is that most of the time these errors, especially the minor ones, are not the result of the translator's incompetence, but rather a result of the lack of proper time given to the translator to complete the job. How many times would you have to read, re-read and edit a 20,000 word project in order to make sure that there are less than 3 mistakes and would the client be willing to wait that long?

I think this is a scheme to get lower rates since only the uninitiated and the easily intimidated would agree to work under these conditions.

My thoughts exactly.

or "thirded", as the case may be.

As to OP's question of whether it's typical of all agencies - the answer is definitely "no". Though it may be typical of a *certain type* of agency.

[Edited at 2012-12-20 16:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2012-12-20 16:03 GMT]

Adrian Grant
Adrian Grant  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Cunning Plan Dec 20, 2012

Make up your own ridiculous, self-serving 'Code of Conduct' and email it to them.
Use your imagination to ensure it penalises them in the most unexpected ways.

VAintoSpanish
VAintoSpanish
United States
Local time: 22:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
that sound familiar, was the company from Barcelona, Spain? i think that's totally abusive. Jan 10, 2013

Marie Hélène AFONSO wrote:

Hello everyone,
here's an extract of the code of conduct of a translation agency I have worked with :

Quality based penalties

Type of error
Penalty deduction
No errors and/or less than 3 minor errors 0%
3--‐5 minor errors and/or less than 2 serious errors 15--‐25%
3--‐7 minor errors and/or less than 3 serious errors 25--‐50%
4 or more minor errors and/or 3 or more serious errors and/or any critical error 50--‐100%

Payment deductions will be made at our discretion and adjusted

Critical errors make the copy not fit for purpose.
Serious errors of a lesser severity than a critical one, altering the meaning of the sentence.
They correspond to errors in accuracy, compliance, content or terminology.
Minor Errors that do not compromise the meaning and accuracy of the target text, when in comparison with the original source.

Here is the context:
I was in a rush due to problems with PC and software and was late in delivering the file. They told me it was urgent, that the file had to be revised imediately so I sent a translation that was unsatisfactory to my own eyes. I expected a prompt feedback asking me to rework on the file for the same rate (this option is mentioned in the code of conduct) and I would have agreed. Yet, no news and one month and a half after the delivery (also day of payment), I receive a mail telling me that due to a quality issue, I would be paid later, that the file was currently being revised (one month and a half later ? while they had told me it was urgent ?)
I ask them to send me the detailed feedback and I receive it six days later (I had less time to do the translation) with a discount request... Well, according to their code of conduct, I might as well have worked for free (50-100% penalty for 3 or more serious errors) which clearly means they have the right to refuse to pay.
Tell me what you think of this code of conduct. Have a nice evening !

[Edited at 2012-12-19 18:29 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

code of conduct of translation agency (extract)... what do you think about that ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »