Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Agency wants more paperwork. Am I being picky ?
Thread poster: Faustine.Rou (X)
Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:31
German to English
I couldn't... Dec 29, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

They're just a bunch of time-wasting bureaucrats. I would advise you to have nothing more to do with them. If this is how they want to set up a working relationship with you, just imagine what it would be like if you actually started working with them !

Walk away !

... have put it better myself Tom!

Steve K.

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
Local time: 16:31
English to Italian
+ ...
Stick with subtitling Dec 31, 2012

Dear Faustine,

in my experience the more paperwork you fill out, the less chances you have for cooperation. This is at least what I have observed in my 15 years' career. These guys are just wasting your time and spoiling your holidays. Sometimes people who ask you to fill out details and forms all the time are not even sure they will need your services and it's kind of insulting to know that they are still ready to contact you and have you go through red tape and useless time consum
... See more
Dear Faustine,

in my experience the more paperwork you fill out, the less chances you have for cooperation. This is at least what I have observed in my 15 years' career. These guys are just wasting your time and spoiling your holidays. Sometimes people who ask you to fill out details and forms all the time are not even sure they will need your services and it's kind of insulting to know that they are still ready to contact you and have you go through red tape and useless time consuming tasks no matter what.

Besides, I am a subtitler and a translator myself and I would suggest you stick with subtitling as I have noticed the rates for translation are becoming increasingly ridiculous.

Here on Proz.com and in my language combinations English to Italian, German to Italian, there are countless instances of companies that have a "5/5" rating on the Blue Board that post jobs at Eur 0.02 / word and this is the reason why I have decided not to renew my membership this year.

Happy subtitling and best of luck for 2013!
Collapse

Anne Seerup
Anne Seerup
Ireland
Local time: 15:31
English to Danish
+ ...
More and more paper work and forms too Mar 13, 2013

Lately I am getting more and more BS forms to fill in and more requests for exam certificates (which I actually don't consider relevant, as I got those when I was 23 years old and had just about zero experience, knowledge, direction, or understanding of life and business). There have been long-term clients requesting CPD forms, where I have to tell them how I am developing myself professionally. How about every single day!
We are running businesses, and in order to survive we have to keep
... See more
Lately I am getting more and more BS forms to fill in and more requests for exam certificates (which I actually don't consider relevant, as I got those when I was 23 years old and had just about zero experience, knowledge, direction, or understanding of life and business). There have been long-term clients requesting CPD forms, where I have to tell them how I am developing myself professionally. How about every single day!
We are running businesses, and in order to survive we have to keep learning new stuff in order to keep up (which we won't have time for were we to fill in all those forms).

I remember one of the reasons for choosing to become self-employed, was to avoid all the bureaucratic nonsense.

They are all listening to some standardisation consultants who have totally misunderstood how supply and demand works. We are not their employees, we are collaborating businesses. So my guess is, if we all scrap their forms, then there will be nobody in their databases to supply them with translations once they get busy. Perhaps they will get a few inexperienced people who are just out of university, and who are desperate and happy to show off their new certs. and work for 0.000003 peanuts/word.

Feel free to disagree, but it is just about us leading the industry in the direction we want, so why comply with all this bureaucratic nonsense and this mindset that does absolutely nothing to improve quality. If anything it does the opposite, by robbing you of the inspiration that drives your work.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 10:31
Member (2003)
French to English
I don't think you're being picky Mar 13, 2013

I don't bother with too many forms and paperwork. I don't mind filling out one form or taking a translation test, and I don't even mind signing reasonable agreements - but when it gets to be so cumbersome then I lose interest in even working with such an agency. So if you're too picky then I guess so am I, because I just couldn't be bothered with it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency wants more paperwork. Am I being picky ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »