Mobile menu

Formatting and final review charges
Thread poster: AngelaL
Local time: 12:47
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 26, 2004

In the past I have not charged for formatting or final review (when a client returns your translation for you to review after having formatted the text). However, I recently completed a job that required me to purchase obscure new software, learn it, and format the target text in its environment. All the extra work took at least 8 hours, so I'm rethinking my "no formatting charges" policy. Also, I recently accepted a job to translate some brochures. I am to submit the translation in Word, but the client wants me to review the final product in Quark (their editor will do the formatting in this case). Are these charges typically handled by the hour or project? What are reasonable formatting and final review charges?

Direct link Reply with quote

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:47
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
By the hour Aug 27, 2004

Hi Angela,

These so-called 'finishing touches' can take an inordinate amount of time. I would suggest charging by the hour. If you need a special program that you don't normally use, I think the company should pay all or at least half of it.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting and final review charges

Advanced search

Translation news

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs