A real test or getting free translation
Thread poster: bdsch
bdsch
United States
Local time: 16:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone had any experience with an agency sending a sample test for you to translate and immediately replied with
the project was already assigned? How do you tell a real test from someone simply wanting to steal free translation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:58
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
The smell Aug 27, 2004

Hi bdsch

Sometimes the tests don't smell good, the contact with agency neither...
But looking for objective reasons, the length is one of them. What is usually considered normal is between 300 and 500 words.
The content can be another one, but it depends on the kind of document.

Hope this helps

Claudia

Kathrin.B  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:58
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Deadline and text Aug 28, 2004

Claudia Iglesias wrote:

But looking for objective reasons, the length is one of them.

.... and the other can be the deadline, eg. you have to complete the translation in a quite short period. (My experience is: 7 pages within 14 hours)

.... or perhaps the type of the text. It happend to me that I was asked to translate a birth certificate as a test. I don\'t think this kind of translation would be suitable to judge one\'s work for the future collaboration.

... or am I mistaken?

HTH

Kathrin

Enrique de Lafuente
English to Spanish
+ ...
Frauds on tests Aug 28, 2004

Yes, It had happened to me that the translate "test" happens to be someone else paid job.
---
Well, thanks for the advice Ralf, but the fraud didn´t happens here on PROZ, Im talking in general.

[Edited at 2004-08-28 09:08]

[Edited at 2004-08-28 09:09]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Contact the Jobs moderators if you suspect fraudulent use of test translations Aug 28, 2004

Hi all,
Please don't hesitate to contact one of the Jobs moderators if you suspect fraudulent use of test translations related to a job posted on ProZ.com.

Best regards,
Ralf

hedsonia  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
only a short sample for free Aug 28, 2004

If the text is 300-400 words, that is way too long for a free translation as far a I'm concerned.
If it is a paragraph, that is enough to determine your linguistic ability. The rest may be "free work" for someone else.

Pat Jenner
Local time: 23:58
German to English
+ ...
Insist on feedback Aug 28, 2004

I very rarely do test translations, certainly not unpaid ones. One way of ensuring that your work will not be exploited in this way is to make clear in advance that in the interests of mutual quality assurance you will of course expect to receive a revised version of your translation, marked up with explanations of the changes the person assessing you has made. That should filter out the unscrupulous agencies.

bdsch
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all the reply! Aug 28, 2004

That helps a lot.

ACEIT
Local time: 17:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Two paragraphs max Aug 30, 2004

I would do at most two paragraphs as a test. Doing an excerpt of an article is also acceptable but not the entire article.

Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Experience Sep 10, 2004

bdsch wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with an agency sending a sample test for you to translate and immediately replied with
the project was already assigned? How do you tell a real test from someone simply wanting to steal free translation?

I have done a couple of tests under time deadline and was convinved that I was being taken for a ride since nothing came of them. Best thing is to insist on feedback and keep after them for a while if this is not forthcoming. Experience should help in filtering out the unscrupulous agencies, sadky theses people exist.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A real test or getting free translation

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs