https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/2426-suggestions_for_bidding%3A_calculate_total_pay_based_on_rate.html

suggestions for bidding: calculate total pay (based on rate)
Thread poster: williamson (X)
williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 03:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2002

When a translator bids on a project on the Aquarius site, (s)he can directly see the total amount of his/her bid. This feature enables you to compare how much you win or how much you loose if you lower your rate by ˆ0.01. At the same time, the cut-off rate is ˆ0.07.

I was just wondering if it would be technically feasible to introduce such a feature on ProZ. The advantage of it being twofold :

a. It keeps away those outsourcers which offer ridiculously low rates (offers at
... See more
When a translator bids on a project on the Aquarius site, (s)he can directly see the total amount of his/her bid. This feature enables you to compare how much you win or how much you loose if you lower your rate by ˆ0.01. At the same time, the cut-off rate is ˆ0.07.

I was just wondering if it would be technically feasible to introduce such a feature on ProZ. The advantage of it being twofold :

a. It keeps away those outsourcers which offer ridiculously low rates (offers at lower than let\'s say ˆ0.07 cannot be made) and

b. you know directly how much you will earn.

It would also mean an rate-increase for most Eastern-European colleagues, where 0.04$ is the usual rate.
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 21:33
German to English
+ ...
:-) Good idea Apr 24, 2002

I have always liked that system too.

A) People cannot bid below a certain level

B) It is very illustrative: by lowering or raising your rate, you can see the impact on your total invoice amount in an instant.

João Brogueira
João Brogueira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cut-off rate is not really the limit Apr 24, 2002

I came across a job offer in Aquarius for my language pair where the poster offered a rate below 0.07 (0.05, if I remember correcly) in the description of the job. Having raised the attention of the site\'s staff to this, they simply argued that it was up to the bidder to accept the rate or not. So much for dignifying translation rates...

The compare feature is very useful, though.

Regards,

João Brogueira

Paulo Celestino Guimaraes
Paulo Celestino Guimaraes  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's great Apr 24, 2002

That system seems to be great. I\'ve always agreed that pros should not bid below a certain level. I have always wonder how this could be made.

I\'m for a system that would give us further details on how we are handling our bids.

Let\'s hope that ProZ will take these suggestions into consideration.

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 03:33
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cut-off rate IS the limit Apr 25, 2002

Is an agency forces the price down to ˆ0.05, than I for one learn to say \"NO\".

It took me two years to develop another activity which generates an income. If one activity (translation)generates an income that is too low, I can always switch to the other : giving MsOffice-training on a freelance basis : In that sector, there is not such much pennypinching going on and payment is always after 30 days.

João Brogueira
João Brogueira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:33
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cut-off rate (Part II) Apr 25, 2002

I just meant that Aquarius\' system is far from flawless. Maybe Proz could improve on that, if they implement a similar system.

BTW, I won\'t work for 0.05 either, unless for some reason I\'m particularly interested in the job. I also work in-house, therefore I can afford to be criterious with my freelance work, since I don\'t depend on it to pay the electricity bill.

Regards,

João Brogueira

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

suggestions for bidding: calculate total pay (based on rate)

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »