https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/24475-eu_directive%3A_claiming_interest_on_late_payments.html

EU directive: claiming interest on late payments?
Thread poster: Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2004

Dear Proz.

I remember reading a thread a while back about claiming interest on overdue payments. Could someone direct me to a link on this please for future reference?

Many thanks in advance.
Jason

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
Flemish to English
+ ...
Desktop Sep 6, 2004

Made a link to it on my desktop:
http://europa.eu.int/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=32000L0035&model=guicheti

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Enter 'overdue' in Search box Sep 6, 2004

Just a tip: if you're looking for info that has been posted in one of the forums (or elsewhere (jobs, KudoZ)), simply enter a relevant key term in the Search box (in this case, e.g. 'overdue').
This may narrow down the amount of forums you'd have to search in order to find something.

The link provided by Williamson is indeed very interesting but the directive itself is still hardly enforceable, alas.

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Late payment thread Sep 6, 2004

I remember I posted there, and entered 'late payment'. Remember that the European Directive is to be implemented in national legislation, and in Spain it has not been implemented yet!
http://www.proz.com/post/153018#153018

Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
system still favours middle men Sep 6, 2004

Thanks for link to the earlier post. After browsing the legislation, I feel there are not many legal legs for a SME/translator to stand on when the end client (a translator's client's client)refuses to pay and especially not in Spain where if you get paid after 45 days, you are doing pretty well. This must be the most common cause of invoice payment delays but surely since the relationship with the non-paying party is nothing to do with the translator's relationship with their client this is no ... See more
Thanks for link to the earlier post. After browsing the legislation, I feel there are not many legal legs for a SME/translator to stand on when the end client (a translator's client's client)refuses to pay and especially not in Spain where if you get paid after 45 days, you are doing pretty well. This must be the most common cause of invoice payment delays but surely since the relationship with the non-paying party is nothing to do with the translator's relationship with their client this is no excuse (or shouldn't be).

Is there no specific legislation on this, nothing to discourage a middle man from this kind of antics?

The problem comes around when a middle man refuses or is reluctant to get involved in the quality control process. They are therefore less defensive of work in the case of any complaint and blame is immediately laid on the translator's doorstep. Is the client always right in these cases (I mean the middle man's client)? It is partly due to the assumption of some risk that a middle man is working for their profit, instead of just handing work 2 and fro between two parties, in many cases without even looking at the work and trying to match the project to the translator most able to do the work.

I suppose there's no easy solution, there are pros and cons of working for middle men and for end clients. The above in my view is the biggest disadvantatge of the translator/middle man relationship.

Any further thoughts on this?

Jason
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
Flemish to English
+ ...
Plusvalue of the middleman. Sep 6, 2004

Plusvalue of the middleman:

-Finds you customers. You save time...
-Reviews/Has your translation reviewed.
-DTP
-Terminology management.

Price of the middleman: About 20% of the face-value of your translation+the interests at the bank for paying later than foreseen. For one translator, this may not be a lot. For say, 20 translators, paying on time or later makes a difference.

Either you offer your services to the middleman or you take a we
... See more
Plusvalue of the middleman:

-Finds you customers. You save time...
-Reviews/Has your translation reviewed.
-DTP
-Terminology management.

Price of the middleman: About 20% of the face-value of your translation+the interests at the bank for paying later than foreseen. For one translator, this may not be a lot. For say, 20 translators, paying on time or later makes a difference.

Either you offer your services to the middleman or you take a week or two to search for direct customers.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU directive: claiming interest on late payments?

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »