Can't understand analysis
Thread poster: Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
French to English
Apr 19, 2013

I have been offered a translation job but am a little confused about the details.
First the files are listed as "Word D Pro". What dose that mean?

Secondly, there are 9 files and they are analyzed, for a total listed of 20280, with 5480 reps.
All the reps are fuzzy, which I understand, and there are 5480.

But there is no information re fees. Am I supposed to contact to clarify?

Finally, can I use Word fast? although this information is largely
... See more
I have been offered a translation job but am a little confused about the details.
First the files are listed as "Word D Pro". What dose that mean?

Secondly, there are 9 files and they are analyzed, for a total listed of 20280, with 5480 reps.
All the reps are fuzzy, which I understand, and there are 5480.

Finally, can I use Word fast? although this information is largely in table form?
Will Wordfast product tables?

Thanks very much for any help.

Jessie
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:31
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Jessie Apr 19, 2013

Am I supposed to contact to clarify?

YES! You should immediately contact the outsourcer and clarify with them all questions you have:

1) What does "Word D Pro" mean? (My best guess is that they meant "Wordfast Pro", but who knows? In any case, "Word D Pro" makes me suspicious...)

2) How are they counting words (because fuzzies and repetitions are not the same!)

3) Which output files do they need (cleaned, unlean, TM, etc.)?

4) After having clarified all this you should tell them how much you would charge for this translation.

Also, as the job is large, please be sure ti check the outsourcer's background before accepting the job, especially if you haven't worked for this outsourcer before. Please be aware that Internet is full of scammers, and you should be very careful.

Good luck,
Natalia
P.S. And yes, Wordfast works with tables.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:31
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You don't need to clarify the rate: set it Apr 19, 2013

Jessie Nelson wrote:

There are some things in your post that you need to clarify, that's for sure.

But the rate isn't one, as far as I'm concerned. Whatever some agencies seem to think, it isn't their position to set rates: it's for the freelancer to do. Unfortunately, so many translators have let agencies dictate their terms to them in the past that they seem to think it's their right now. If it's one of the big, well-established agencies, you may want to approach this so it looks as though they're setting the rate, but you have the right to put in a counter-offer if they don't propose paying enough for you to live on. Then you have the ultimate right to reject the job.

One additional worry that Natalie didn't raise is whether they will be expecting you to use their TM (I imagine that's the case with such a high rate of matches), and if so how much freedom you will have to choose a better translation.

Jessie Nelson
Jessie Nelson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:31
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much Apr 19, 2013

Hello Natalie and Sheila,

Thank you for responding.

The e -mail was so different looking it took me by surprise
I do set my own rates, as I have given up on being cheapened out. I did it for a while but not any longer.

Of course you are right. It most likely means Word fast which I do indeed work with, and I have tested the file to see if I could import it and complete a table.

Thanks once again to answering such basic questions.
... See more
Hello Natalie and Sheila,

Thank you for responding.

The e -mail was so different looking it took me by surprise
I do set my own rates, as I have given up on being cheapened out. I did it for a while but not any longer.

Of course you are right. It most likely means Word fast which I do indeed work with, and I have tested the file to see if I could import it and complete a table.

Thanks once again to answering such basic questions.

Regards,

Jessie Nelson RN BSN
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't understand analysis

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »