https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/2543-free_lance_vs_in_house%3A_what_do_these_mean.html

Free-lance vs. In-house: what do these mean?
Thread poster: Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2002

I thought I knew; a free-lance translator is an independent business person who acts as a provider, or supplier to clients. An in-house translator is an employee of a company. So which do you suppose they are looking for in job bid #21421, where it says:

\"Traductor Literario y Científico-Técnico

Spanish>English

Inhouse position

Several free-lance translations.\"

Besides, if \"inhouse\" is indicated, shouldn\'t it be man
... See more
I thought I knew; a free-lance translator is an independent business person who acts as a provider, or supplier to clients. An in-house translator is an employee of a company. So which do you suppose they are looking for in job bid #21421, where it says:

\"Traductor Literario y Científico-Técnico

Spanish>English

Inhouse position

Several free-lance translations.\"

Besides, if \"inhouse\" is indicated, shouldn\'t it be mandatory for them to put the country? None is indicated in this posting. The \"house\" could be anywhere in the world!

Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 00:22
German to English
+ ...
It's only a guess Apr 30, 2002

Maybe the formatting was off a bit. Maybe they are looking to fill one in-house position and several freelance positions (i.e., they are also inviting freelancers to send in their résumés).

But I agree: they should specify their location.

Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yin-Yan? Apr 30, 2002

I also wonder...

Aurora

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free-lance vs. In-house: what do these mean?

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »