Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Have you ever seen an agency raising your rate spontaneously?
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 2, 2013

Often, when starting a new collaboration with an agency, they tend to push down your rates since "you are new" and you still have to get to know each other.

But has it ever happened to your that the agency, once a certain amount of work/time, decided to "upgrade" your rate since they were satisfied with your work?

I am asking this because most of the agencies I work with refuse to accept any change of rate (in a more bland or strong way, ranging from "we do not encourag
... See more
Often, when starting a new collaboration with an agency, they tend to push down your rates since "you are new" and you still have to get to know each other.

But has it ever happened to your that the agency, once a certain amount of work/time, decided to "upgrade" your rate since they were satisfied with your work?

I am asking this because most of the agencies I work with refuse to accept any change of rate (in a more bland or strong way, ranging from "we do not encourage this in you want to ensure you get a regular workflow from us" to "then you'll be removed from our database").

However there is this one agency that initially pushed for medium rates, and that now accepted a +20% rate without a blink. Should I assume they are happy with me or just that I raised the bar when they had better paying clients?

Over the years, I read tons of agency-talk like "selected team", "long term relationship", "preferential linguist" and so on, but I never experienced any benefits from those long standing businesses.

What's your experience?
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes, it happens Oct 2, 2013

It is rare but it does happen.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:50
Italian to English
Never Oct 2, 2013

It has never happened to me, possibly because all the agencies I have worked with are Italian.

From this viewpoint then, I would be tempted to move this post to the forum "Lighter side of translation", perhaps under the "Translation Joke" thread. Glad to hear Giuseppina's experience has been different.

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Not really Oct 2, 2013

Not really. Well, once, a personal acquaintance assured me it was okay to quote through the roof because the end client had deep pockets and there'd still be markup. The other day a direct client suggested a 25% higher rate would be okay too.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
German to English
Happened twice Oct 2, 2013

A few years ago, an agency raised my rate by one cent. Recently a small agency suggested that I raise my rate 10%, mainly so I would keep working for them. Both agencies recognize that translators are knowledge workers and value the services that their vendors provide.

On the other hand, an agency for which I had been working sporadically for a long time told my that my rate (which hadn't changed since 1995) was too high.

I suspect the downward pressure on rates will co
... See more
A few years ago, an agency raised my rate by one cent. Recently a small agency suggested that I raise my rate 10%, mainly so I would keep working for them. Both agencies recognize that translators are knowledge workers and value the services that their vendors provide.

On the other hand, an agency for which I had been working sporadically for a long time told my that my rate (which hadn't changed since 1995) was too high.

I suspect the downward pressure on rates will continue as new translators enter the business and are willing to work for substandard rates. When they starve, they drop out, to be replaced by a never-ending supply of people with a computer and Internet connection. Parallel to this are agencies trying to compete based on price, rather than quality.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
But it wasn't their idea, was it? Oct 2, 2013

As an inexperienced teacher I was actually ordered once to increase my rate by 20 per cent! That hasn't happened as a translator, but I've made a few large adjustments without losing the client. You have to be prepared to lose them, of course, and they almost always go quiet for a bit while they have a sulk and look around the competition. But it can work. Congratulations to you.

Cécile A.-C.
Cécile A.-C.
United States
Local time: 21:50
Member (2010)
Portuguese to French
+ ...
That has happened to me once, recently. Oct 2, 2013

Very surprising, I only hope that this does not hide something else.

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Only once Oct 2, 2013

SEA-words wrote:

What's your experience?

I didn't have too much experience when I started working with a great agency and after a few months they increased my already good rate to match the rates of their more experienced translators. Too bad it has only happened once.

When it comes to existing clients, it's like pulling teeth. I've found it quite difficult to increase my rates unless I am able to include additional services.

pcs_MCIL
pcs_MCIL
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seek the change Oct 2, 2013

TranslateThis wrote:
When it comes to existing clients, it's like pulling teeth. I've found it quite difficult to increase my rates unless I am able to include additional services.

I found out that explaining the reasons why your are raising your rates usually helps. Of course, you must motivate this with professionalism and without pointing out personal or financial issues.

Simply, something on the line "to be able to keep my standard and dedicate to this job all my effort to deliver a high quality job/to ensure high standard/to be sure that your client is satisfied". Absolutely avoid "my light bill is getting more expensive" or "the market is low" or "your rates are the lower rates I am working for".

It is not *their* issue, it is yours.

After all, I noticed that I was unhnappy to perform some tasks because they were not paid very well. On another account, simply complaining to the PM wouldn't have solved the issue. I was open to do these tasks *IF* properly paid, so I found a way to ask to be paid more.

To my great surprise, they may even say yes.

To me, I wondered for ages if there are 10-cent-a-word-worth professionals, or if it was just a matter of marketing. I kept questioning my skills and telling myself that "out there" the 10-cent-a-word-worth professionals could claim a longer experience, an academic degree in languages, experiences abroad, etc.

Well, following with this line of tought, I realized I kept the same rates for ages. Now I started to seek this change, since it never happened alone before yesterday.

Natalia Mackevich
Natalia Mackevich  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Russian
+ ...
It happened to my very good colleagues. Oct 2, 2013

I've heard similar stories from at least 3 of my Russian colleagues, and I know it's true. It never happened to me personally, because at first I used to agree to any rate and later I learned to set my rates in the most efficient way, so there was no need for my customers to raise them unless I reviewed these rates myself. But things happen, and it's good.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes Oct 2, 2013

although it was a direct client who agreed to a lower (still very good rate) and said they would increase it to what I'd suggested initially when they were happy with my work - and they did, without any prompting on my part! I've also had another direct client offer me an extremely high rate off their own bat without me even having to suggest my own rates - so it does happen. You just need to pick and choose your clients....

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Oct 2, 2013

Once, by a direct client, who aligned me with the translators in the other languages. I also got once an "open purchase order" for "work to come" which covered my fees for four months, full time.

As for agencies, not directly but once, a week before taking my holidays, I quoted € 0.15 per word to an agency for a big tourism translation, not difficult at all, of 10,000 words. I said to myself that they would never accept so that I could start filling my suitcases, but they accepted
... See more
Once, by a direct client, who aligned me with the translators in the other languages. I also got once an "open purchase order" for "work to come" which covered my fees for four months, full time.

As for agencies, not directly but once, a week before taking my holidays, I quoted € 0.15 per word to an agency for a big tourism translation, not difficult at all, of 10,000 words. I said to myself that they would never accept so that I could start filling my suitcases, but they accepted right away... and I had to do the translation... and even received an invitation for sightseeing that town with a tourist guide. But generally what happens is that I leave unpleasant tasks for more pleasant ones, for the same price or for more.
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:50
Chinese to English
Never found raising rates difficult Oct 3, 2013

I mean, I've lost some business when I raise rates, but that's inevitable. Agencies will say lots of stuff to get you to keep the same rate, but in the end they're quite businesslike. Good translation saves them money, and they will pay more for it.
In answer to the question, I've never had a client spontaneously raise my rates.

Orrin Cummins
Orrin Cummins  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:50
Japanese to English
+ ...
No Oct 3, 2013

The only thing an agency has ever spontaneously raised for me was my blood pressure.

Jean Chao
Jean Chao  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
@Orrin, thanks for giving me a good laugh... Oct 3, 2013

Orrin Cummins wrote:

The only thing an agency has ever spontaneously raised for me was my blood pressure.

This sums it all. Hahaha... Thanks for making my day.

For me, they've also raised the bar without considering raising anything else. So I quit. After this, they came back with a big raise. I guess this doesn't count as a spontaneous act.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »