https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/2574-convert_pdf_files_to_word_rtf_format_cheaply.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Convert pdf files to word/rtf format - cheaply!
Thread poster: Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
German to English
May 2, 2002

Don\'t make my mistake: I just got a large job in pdf format and wanted to convert it into word so I could use Trados on it. Trawling the TW_users forum I found that I need to buy Acrobat 5 (full version not the reader) and then a plug-in called Gemini. So I bit the bullet and paid out a total of approx. GBP300 for both. I was delighted with the result - until today when the people who make Gemini emailed me to ask why I didn\'t buy their new product called Gemini Solo, which does the same job b... See more
Don\'t make my mistake: I just got a large job in pdf format and wanted to convert it into word so I could use Trados on it. Trawling the TW_users forum I found that I need to buy Acrobat 5 (full version not the reader) and then a plug-in called Gemini. So I bit the bullet and paid out a total of approx. GBP300 for both. I was delighted with the result - until today when the people who make Gemini emailed me to ask why I didn\'t buy their new product called Gemini Solo, which does the same job but you don\'t need acrobat - the cost is the same as the plug-in: USD159 - in other words I wasted my cash buying Acrobat 5.

If you ever need to convert pdf files to word then check out: www.iceni.com and go for Gemini solo.
Collapse

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Can you convert them back to PDF? May 2, 2002

Does Gemini Solo convert them back to PDF format? Or what do you do after translating the document so that you can return the it to the client in the original format?

Thanks

Minna

Noemi Carrera
Noemi Carrera  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:41
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Advanced PDF Password Recovery May 2, 2002

This is the program I use to convert PDF files to Word format. I think it is far cheaper than others...(?)

MIGUEL JIMENEZ
MIGUEL JIMENEZ  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Much cheaper .... free May 2, 2002

Hi everyone,

I have a much cheaper choice, do it for free. Yes, I have done several jobs using one little TM program called Wordfast, you can download it for free from www.CHAMPOLLION.NET. The little program will extract to word all text in any PDF format. you just need to open the pdf file, open a blank Word page, hit Next segment, and the program by itself will extract all text from any PDF file, as e
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have a much cheaper choice, do it for free. Yes, I have done several jobs using one little TM program called Wordfast, you can download it for free from www.CHAMPOLLION.NET. The little program will extract to word all text in any PDF format. you just need to open the pdf file, open a blank Word page, hit Next segment, and the program by itself will extract all text from any PDF file, as easy and simple.

I have done it several times and I could not be more pleased with the results.

So, why pay if you can do it for free??

(by the way, I also like Wordfast to handle the translation... does well with Powerpoint, Excell... no expensive plug ins needed)

MIGUEL

PD. I also use Trados, but I don\'t know for how long...
Collapse

Noemi Carrera
Noemi Carrera  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Advanced PDF Password Recovery May 2, 2002

Well, in fact, what I do with this program is to decrypt the document and this way I can select everything and copy it into a Word file.

Some info about the program for those who are interested:

This program (Advanced PDF Password Recovery, or simply APDFPR) can be used to decrypt protected Adobe Acrobat PDF files, which have \"owner\" password set, preventing the file from editing (changing), printing, selecting text and graphics (and copying them into
... See more
Well, in fact, what I do with this program is to decrypt the document and this way I can select everything and copy it into a Word file.

Some info about the program for those who are interested:

This program (Advanced PDF Password Recovery, or simply APDFPR) can be used to decrypt protected Adobe Acrobat PDF files, which have \"owner\" password set, preventing the file from editing (changing), printing, selecting text and graphics (and copying them into the Clipboard), or adding/changing annotations and form fields (in any combination). Decryption is being done instantly. Decrypted file can be opened in any PDF viewer (e.g. Adobe Acrobar Reader) without any restrictions -- i.e. with edit/copy/print functions enabled. All versions of Adobe Acrobat (including 5.x, which features 128-bit encryption) are supported. Please note that APDFPR doesn\'t work with documents which have user-level passwords (preventing the files from being opened), if both user and owner passwords are unknown; and file files protected with any 3rd party security plug-ins.

Collapse

Erika Pavelka (X)
Erika Pavelka (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
OmniPage Pro 11 also works May 2, 2002

Hi Gillian,

I also hate it when you find out that there\'s a product that can do the job you\'re looking for and it\'s cheaper...

A few colleagues have OmniPage Pro 11 that features a PDF to Word conversion function. I had a friend do a pdf files for me and the results were very good. I\'ve ordered a copy (still on back order) for about $150 Canadian.

Not trying to rub salt on the wounds (honest!), just letting you know about this op
... See more
Hi Gillian,

I also hate it when you find out that there\'s a product that can do the job you\'re looking for and it\'s cheaper...

A few colleagues have OmniPage Pro 11 that features a PDF to Word conversion function. I had a friend do a pdf files for me and the results were very good. I\'ve ordered a copy (still on back order) for about $150 Canadian.

Not trying to rub salt on the wounds (honest!), just letting you know about this option.

Is there any chance of returning the software and getting a refund?

Erika

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-02 12:53 ]
Collapse

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
German to English
+ ...
Why bother with Gemini? May 2, 2002

If you have the full version of Acrobat, you can convert your pdf file to rtf/WORD format - you don\'t need any additional plug-ins.

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
True but acrobat May 2, 2002

doesn\'t convert them properly - it sticks in too many line breaks

Ellie Lormans
Ellie Lormans  Identity Verified
Netherlands
French to Dutch
+ ...
I use Wordfast to convert pdf to wordfiles. May 2, 2002

If you have Wordfast (a free download), you can open your pdf.files very easy in Word. Just open your pdf.file, open Word, click on Wordfast and wait a while...

German to English
+ ...
Gemini? May 2, 2002

So, Gemini (or the stand-alone version of Gemini) can do away with these nasty distortions?

If so, I\'d be interested in finding out more.

TIA

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-05-02 15:10 ]

Gillian Searl
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No it won't convert back to pdf. May 2, 2002

They tell me that needs either the full version or adobe distiller (whatever that software is - I\'ve never heard of it)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Distiller May 2, 2002

Distiller is part of the Adobe Acrobat software package (the full version - not the free Acrobat Reader). Essentially, Distiller is an interface that generates PDFs from a variety of sources. Not sure whether Distiller is available on its own.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Distiller May 2, 2002

Distiller comes with PageMaker 6.5 too.

It is a kind \"printer-interface\" with an PDF-output instead of paper.

Well, as far as I know, Acrobat (full, version 5) works quite properly and does not make so much trouble, even with polish characters, which are often a problem for all sorts software.

Although you can create PDFs for free - check here:

... See more
Distiller comes with PageMaker 6.5 too.

It is a kind \"printer-interface\" with an PDF-output instead of paper.

Well, as far as I know, Acrobat (full, version 5) works quite properly and does not make so much trouble, even with polish characters, which are often a problem for all sorts software.

Although you can create PDFs for free - check here:

http://www.chip.de/downloads_updates/downloads_updates_8631630.html

or

http://www.smile-to-me.de/

and

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/

I\'m sorry, that the first links are in German, but perhaps you can use it.

This is a tool working with Word, that let\'s you create PDF with.

Kind regards

J. Czopik

Collapse

Angelica Portales
Angelica Portales  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gemini does really work May 2, 2002

I really love this plug-in. I use it on Acrobat Exchange, and it exports everything to rtf: text, tables, images, etc. You even can choose to keep the original PDF layout!

And yes, it spares you those hated paragraph breaks on every line.

Then, to generate a PDF file from your RTF, all you need is Acrobat PDFWriter, a printer driver to \"print\" your file to a PDF file; and which I find easier to use than Distiller.

Hope it helps!! Regards,

Ange
... See more
I really love this plug-in. I use it on Acrobat Exchange, and it exports everything to rtf: text, tables, images, etc. You even can choose to keep the original PDF layout!

And yes, it spares you those hated paragraph breaks on every line.

Then, to generate a PDF file from your RTF, all you need is Acrobat PDFWriter, a printer driver to \"print\" your file to a PDF file; and which I find easier to use than Distiller.

Hope it helps!! Regards,

Angelica

Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:41
German to English
+ ...
I use Omnipage 11 and Zeon DocuCom PDF May 2, 2002

I have very few jobs that require PDF, so I was looking for a low cost solution instead of the quite pricy Acrobat.

I had Omnipage 10 anyway, so the upgrade gave me the conversion capbility. And I bought the Zeon DocuCom PDF Driver (http://www.zeon.com.tw/zeoncom/), which is just $50 and converts MS software files very nicely into PDF (without the editing capabilities of Acrobat, th
... See more
I have very few jobs that require PDF, so I was looking for a low cost solution instead of the quite pricy Acrobat.

I had Omnipage 10 anyway, so the upgrade gave me the conversion capbility. And I bought the Zeon DocuCom PDF Driver (http://www.zeon.com.tw/zeoncom/), which is just $50 and converts MS software files very nicely into PDF (without the editing capabilities of Acrobat, though). It is installed like a printer driver, so you just select another printer driver, push the print button, and there is your PDF file.

For people like me, who do not need the \"Full Monty\" of Acrobat, a good solution.

They have a trial version that keeps a watermark in the result, so you can check out if it fits your needs.

For people working into Chinese, Korean or Japanese, they have also a version for that!!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Convert pdf files to word/rtf format - cheaply!

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »