https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/26136-how_does_an_agency_become_successful.html

How does an agency become successful?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Oct 29, 2004

Use Proz.com's bidding system, dictate low rates to the translators, pass the benefits on to the end client. Everybody is happy. No? Not really. Because soon our category will disappear: it will be too uneconomical to translate.
... See more
Use Proz.com's bidding system, dictate low rates to the translators, pass the benefits on to the end client. Everybody is happy. No? Not really. Because soon our category will disappear: it will be too uneconomical to translate.

http://www.websters-online-dictionary.org/definition/english/un/uneconomical.html

Happy bunny Giovanni

P.S. As you all know, I don't like the bidding system and this is not a stab at Proz.Com as a whole, but at the bidding culture. Also, I don't like very much agencies that boast about how successfull they are when they pay translators peanuts. And finally thanks to Mats for the telephone call...

[Edited at 2004-10-29 10:42]
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 15:17
English to German
+ ...
How do you know? Oct 29, 2004

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
Use Proz.com's bidding system, dictate low rates to the translators, pass the benefits on to the end client...

Have you tried it? Or are you just looking at some people who pretend to be successful?

Anyway, thanks for the Webster's link, I didn't have it in my favorites, yet.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:17
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Have you tried it? Oct 29, 2004

Harry_B wrote:

Have you tried it?

No, not really, and I wouldn't like to try it.

Or are you just looking at some people who pretend to be successful?

Sorry, but I don't quite get this one...

I hope you enjoy the dictionary... something good out of a post which has been hugely successful...

Giovanni

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:17
English to Italian
+ ...
Well spotted, Giovanni! Oct 29, 2004

C'mon, guys, translators & editors are supposedly good at spotting typos in printed texts AND at understanding irony.
Keep trying!
You'll need a basic knowledge of Italian, though...

Mirella (bunny huntress)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »