Gabriela Miklińska  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:18
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
Mar 4, 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I have been trying to come up with a name for my translation company (which, together with getting a website, is on my list of New Year's resolutions ) for a few weeks now without much success. I have read some advice given to other translators and tried to use those ideas to think in a creative way about my own name but it's much harder than I thought. I've also seen people with interesting names usi
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I have been trying to come up with a name for my translation company (which, together with getting a website, is on my list of New Year's resolutions ) for a few weeks now without much success. I have read some advice given to other translators and tried to use those ideas to think in a creative way about my own name but it's much harder than I thought. I've also seen people with interesting names using them to name their businesses. Well, mine isn't that interesting really. I translate mostly between Spanish and Polish and Portuguese and Polish so I was thinking about making reference to all these languages. I thought maybe it would be a good idea to have a name that could be understood in any of these languages (e.g. in Latin), but then again, it's hard to come up with a name that isn't taken already (words like lingua, verbum, littera, etc. and their possible variations).. What do you think?

I am not expecting you to do the homework for me, but I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions I could use.

Thank you for your time.
Gabriela
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:18
German to Swedish
+ ...
The winner is Mar 4, 2014

freetranslations.com

No wait - that's taken by...

SDL.

(Why am I not surprised?)

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Go for a name people like and remember Mar 4, 2014

Dear Gabriela,

All short website addresses have gone but that doesn't mean that you can't find an evocative brand name anymore. I recently stumbled upon the name Morningside Translations. That agency is named for a neighborhood in New York City called Morningside Heights. It's a poetic name that sticks.

In your case you could pick e.g. Primavera Translations or Ocaso Translations or something even easier to remember and spell for your customers.

Just trying
... See more
Dear Gabriela,

All short website addresses have gone but that doesn't mean that you can't find an evocative brand name anymore. I recently stumbled upon the name Morningside Translations. That agency is named for a neighborhood in New York City called Morningside Heights. It's a poetic name that sticks.

In your case you could pick e.g. Primavera Translations or Ocaso Translations or something even easier to remember and spell for your customers.

Just trying to offer you a new way of looking at the problem.

Cheers,
Gerard
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:18
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Presumably, quite a few people know the email adress you have on your profile Mar 4, 2014

Would Gabriela Traducciones not work? I have no idea if it's available though.

Edited to say, sorry - make that "address" in the title

[Edited at 2014-03-04 19:09 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:18
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Puppy Mar 4, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

How about "Soft Puppy Translations"? Everyone loves a soft puppy.

Gabriela Miklińska
Mexico
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I hadn't thought of it that way Mar 4, 2014

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Dear Gabriela,

Just trying to offer you a new way of looking at the problem.

Cheers,
Gerard

This is definitely a different way to look at it, thank you Gerard! I will give it a thought for sure.

Cheers!

Gabriela Miklińska
Mexico
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought about it at some point Mar 4, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:

... but it didn't convince me so I thought I'd keep looking. Thank you for pointing that out, though. I might give it a second thought and see if it takes me anywhere.

Gabriela Miklińska
Mexico
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Soft Puppy Mar 4, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

How about "Soft Puppy Translations"? Everyone loves a soft puppy.

That would be my top choice if i was selling dog food

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Just use your name Mar 4, 2014

As per title.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
That's how Google gets rich Mar 4, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

As per title.

Look at your own name. You can't ask from a Dutchman to remember it (and you can't ask from an Englishman to pronounce it).

This is why Google records searches like: lucas gomez addams translator.

Cheers,
Gerard

Mark Benson (X)
Mark Benson (X)  Identity Verified

English to Swedish
+ ...
freelanslations.com Mar 5, 2014

What was the name of the composer who liked to combine two words for titles?

freelanslations.com - Pathefic Freelanslations!

It's strange, but I like it. For something a little bit different from Puppies!

And to Joakim: So you've also noticed that SDL wants to be associated with the word 'free?' Another Swede made some interesting posts about this software and related sites many years ago... One of those sites is, of course, Swedish (hosted who knows where.
... See more

And to Joakim: So you've also noticed that SDL wants to be associated with the word 'free?' Another Swede made some interesting posts about this software and related sites many years ago... One of those sites is, of course, Swedish (hosted who knows where.)

But on the topic then: I thought that a company name was mostly a formality, and largely irrelevant. If I had to come up with one now, I would use a password generator online and set it to only use letters. Would that work?

Best/
Mark
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 18:18
Chinese to English
Just letters could work Mar 5, 2014

Amazon has a clever one here in China: they nabbed z.cn, making it very easy to type and remember.

To get away from the languages thing for a while: Gabriela, setting up a website implies that you're trying to change your business in some way. You could brainstorm words around the sector you're targeting. If you want to do more law, then find something that uses the Spanish/Polish words for law. Does anyone have leyprawo.com? (Don't shoot me if that's wrong, I used GT!)

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 13:18
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
new domain extensions in the pipeline Mar 5, 2014

At the moment there are hundreds of new domain name extensions in the pipeline, one of them being .translations
Pre-register anything you like.

polishmirror.com
polishword.com
polword.com
poleword.com?

Also, wordpole.com seems to have expired...

Gabriela Miklińska
Mexico
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Using my own name Mar 5, 2014

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:

As per title.

Thank you Łukasz for your suggestion. I wanted to come up with a different name than my full name because it may be hard for non-Polish speakers to remember or to type. I appreciate your input, though.

Gabriela Miklińska
Mexico
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmm Mar 5, 2014

Mark Benson wrote:

And to Joakim: So you've also noticed that SDL wants to be associated with the word 'free?' Another Swede made some interesting posts about this software and related sites many years ago... One of those sites is, of course, Swedish (hosted who knows where.)

But on the topic then: I thought that a company name was mostly a formality, and largely irrelevant. If I had to come up with one now, I would use a password generator online and set it to only use letters. Would that work?

Best/
Mark

Hello Mark,

Thank you for taking time to reply. I am actually trying to come up with an original name I could use as my business name, as a domain and to be, together with my logo, recognizable and remembered. This is why I don't want to go for anything generic/generated by a machine.

Best,
Gabriela

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help needed with a name for a translation company

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »