Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:05
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Who said that? May 14, 2014

Frankie JB wrote:
...and not sell it as a kind of "magnanimous goodwill gesture".

Who said "selling" it and "magnanimous"? I don't think any of the colleagues is saying that.

Anyway. My way of responding to these situations is "These things happen!" and a statement of what will be actually charged in the invoice. Full stop.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:05
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Exactly my thought May 14, 2014

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
I'm just curious, did they send you the target document for monolingual proofreading?

So what did you receive from the client?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:05
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's exactly what I would do... May 14, 2014

Angie Garbarino wrote:

lnmichaud wrote:

Update: The client has followed up owning up to the fact that it was their mistake and that they would pay for it. I'm still not sure about billing them the full amount for the translation (although the work was completed). I will now be billing them separately for proofreading the document.
I'm still of two minds on this. Any thoughts?

[Edited at 2014-05-13 18:20 GMT]

Given that the job was only 480 words and this is a good client of yours, my opinion is not to bill them, they'll appreciate it

lnmichaud
lnmichaud
Canada
Local time: 07:05
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Usual proofreading fee May 14, 2014

Natalie wrote:

Mikhail Kropotov wrote:
I'm just curious, did they send you the target document for monolingual proofreading?

So what did you receive from the client?

Yes, I did end up proofreading the original document and charged my usual proofreading fee. When they acknowledged that it was their mistake, they offered to pay for it, but I let them off the hook this time.

Thank you all so much for your insights!

Frankie JB
Frankie JB
France
English to French
+ ...
Clarifications... May 14, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Who said "selling" it and "magnanimous"? I don't think any of the colleagues is saying that.

Anyway. My way of responding to these situations is "These things happen!" and a statement of what will be actually charged in the invoice. Full stop.

It was not supposed to be understood as reported speech - it's my own argumentation... I just meant to say that in my view Lise should not be TOO nice. Of course, "these things happen" as you say, but she worked 1.5 hours for nothing because of their mistake... Depending on circumstances (for instance if it's a regular, but small-volume individual client who benefits from what are already "friendly" rates, rather than an agency that gives her 50,000 w/m), it can be annoying...

In the end here, it's all about striking a balance between, on one side, offering them forgiveness because it's the first time they make a mistake and damage is not overly costly (as virtually everyone agreed), and on the other side making sure they realize you are not very happy with working 1.5 hours for free and it's not unimportant for you, WHILE at the same time ensuring they feel you do them this favor willingly, both because services rendered grudgingly are not credited as services in someone's mind and because this would allow to leave the door open for a possible gesture of goodwill from them if they appreciate they cost you time and efforts...

Andrea Diaz
Andrea Diaz
Mexico
Local time: 05:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
Put the client first. May 14, 2014

Because it's a short text, I would have waived the invoice and charged only for the proofreading. This may hurt your profits, but as everyone else has already said, the client will really appreciate it. Of course, if it had been a 5000 words text, I would have only made a discount.
In the end, if this is a valued customer, it would be more profitable consider how this would influence the long-term relationship with him/her.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Misunderstanding - What would you do?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »