Rates for translation
Thread poster: Felicite Robertson

Felicite Robertson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
French to English
+ ...
Nov 24, 2004

I have just had a call from a friend who has been offered a translation job by one of the most important leisure companies in the south of Spain: 7 EUR per hour to translate from Spanish to English (website localisation).

How can we compete?

Direct link Reply with quote

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:54
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
... per hour Nov 24, 2004

... guess the UK's minimum wage is more than that. However, if they haven't given a completion date or anticipated hourly output in words, one could work really SLOOOOOOOOWLY on this one (or include the afternoon siesta in the hourly fee)... Sorry, still a bit in holiday mode... Euro 7,00 / hour definitely does not sound competitive - to say the least!

xxxsarahl
Local time: 21:54
English to French
+ ...
with quality! Nov 24, 2004

Felicite Robertson wrote:

How can we compete?

as they say, you get what you pay for. if you pay a translator less than you would a cleaning lady, what do you expect? we're really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here, on both sides.

xxxdf49f
France
Local time: 06:54
impossible competition Nov 24, 2004

Felicite Robertson wrote:

I have just had a call from a friend who has been offered a translation job by one of the most important leisure companies in the south of Spain: 7 EUR per hour to translate from Spanish to English (website localisation).

How can we compete?

I pay my cleaning lady 12 euros/hour and my bookkeeping helper 20...!!

We can't compete, all we can do is refuse ridiculous offers... but as long as some people accept, we'll get nowhere!

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:54
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I moved this thread Nov 24, 2004

to the Business Issues forum.

Magda

Deliana Totkova
Bulgaria
Local time: 07:54
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Economy thought Nov 25, 2004

Food for thought:

1. The market price is always where supply and demand meet. Otherwise shortages (or deficits) occur.

2. Different markets exist. That is why this site was created for on the first place-to reach other markets easily and take advantage of richer clients (for translators from poorer countries' markets) and respectively -cheaper translators ( for affluent countries' clients)!!

3. The market is thus efficent, all but the artificially expensive translators and ridiculously cheap employers in poor countries gain.:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translation

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs